PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router suggestions / help!

ChA6dders
19-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Ok computer geeks! Do your worst this is the problem our interweb has been dropping out more & more & we kept having to turn the router on & off to get it back no its gone completely the router has power to it but does nothing personaly I think it needs replacing I'm using win7 which is all up to date

Is there anything I should check / do before buying a new router ?
If I need a new router can I have suggestions please ?
We have a desk top, laptop and phones which can all be using the interweb @ the same time so it needs to cope with that
Is there anything else I could add to boost the wireless signal around the house ? Got the normal phone line filter thingys
Cheers

chris-1974
20-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Hello ChA6dders

Daft suggestion, however it does work in some cases, and best done before you go to bed. Turn router off, and turn power off/remove from power supply, unplug all wires and clean contacts on both the wires and sockets on the router with something like surgical spirit or nail polish remover. Leave the router unplugged all night to cool down. Plug all wires back in the next morning and see how it goes.

Out if idle curiosity, what make/model of router are you using?

Regards

Chris

Guest 2
20-11-2012, 09:33 AM
As above - what are you currently using now and are you using cable or dsl?

chris-1974
20-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Oh, yes, forgot to add this bit....change your adsl filter for a new one.

ChA6dders
20-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions I ended up buying an new router Netgear 300N. It turned out that there was no power supply getting to the router. I think it had had it's day. It was either the power cable and the moulded plug that had failed or the router it's self. All lights apart from the Ethernet light, taking power from the computer had died. The new one is working fine so I'm back up and running

OddBallBoy
20-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Sorry didn't see this and respond before - I would have said to contact your Internet provider, tell them it's playing up and get a new one from them for free. Particularly if you're at the end of your contract with them, they'd give you one to keep you as you nearly always get a new router when you take out a new contract. Might still be worth doing then you could return the one you've bought, get a refund.

ChA6dders
20-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Cheers I'll look into it not @ end of contract but worth asking