PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch and Electronic Handbrake

gregpot2000
14-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Hi There

I have just booked in my 2008 A4 for a new clutch and flywheel, it’s on 112k, and has been making noises all year, so I have had time to prepare myself for the cost and have come to terms with it!
My question is, obviously a new clutch is likely to change the biting point significantly, is this likely to cause me any issues with the electronic handbrake disengaging?
Will a different biting point confuse it, or are these things self-adjusting?

Thanks for your help.

markp306
14-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Hi There

I have just booked in my 2008 A4 for a new clutch and flywheel, it’s on 112k, and has been making noises all year, so I have had time to prepare myself for the cost and have come to terms with it!
My question is, obviously a new clutch is likely to change the biting point significantly, is this likely to cause me any issues with the electronic handbrake disengaging?
Will a different biting point confuse it, or are these things self-adjusting?

Thanks for your help.

You did well to get that milage. DMF and clutch (finally!) changed at 35K for me after much arguing, but I can't say I noticed any handbrake issues afterwards.

gtsloz19
15-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Hi Mark,

You mention you had both replaced at 32k...this is what my car is at present, I have slight judder when pulling away hot and cold conditions, irrespective of length of journey.
Does this ring any warning bells with you?
I have had the car checked and the mechanic put it down to moisture on the flywheel/clutch, but I have been told to monitor it.
I should mention that the garage/mechanic is not an Audi dealership but a local 'well known' nationwide garage.

Thanks

Paul

markp306
15-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Mark,

You mention you had both replaced at 32k...this is what my car is at present, I have slight judder when pulling away hot and cold conditions, irrespective of length of journey.
Does this ring any warning bells with you?
I have had the car checked and the mechanic put it down to moisture on the flywheel/clutch, but I have been told to monitor it.
I should mention that the garage/mechanic is not an Audi dealership but a local 'well known' nationwide garage.

Thanks

Paul

Yes - I experienced some judder when cold but also had a less common situation of severe judder when hot. As with all the best problems, it couldn't be recreated on demand and my local Audi service team would not acknowledge an issue that they could not create, and wanted me to "sign" for 3 hours labour to get the gearbox off for inspection. It'a a long story but ultimately this was done and sure enough the symptom was the same as written elsewhere in this forum. Bearings had failed and grease was leaking onto flywheel causing the slip.
Ultimately it wasn't the clutch at fault, but the clutch was changed due (apparently) to the wear/damage from leaving the DMF issue to get worse. The driving experience has vastly improved as a result but from what I can make out it seem to just be the 2.0 143 configuration and must be well documented by now.

gregpot2000
15-11-2012, 12:10 PM
one of my problems is judder first thing in a morning, but it generally stops after a few miles. i am also thinking from this angle as well... a new clutch would transform the car and make it drive like brand new, well say i keep the car roughly 3years. i can put off the work maybe longer, then get it done in over a year, pay all that money, then sell it, and some one else will just benefit from it! so why not get it done now, and get the full benefit myself of the improvement!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

theskyfox
15-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Would you really expect a new clutch and flywheel at 30k miles? Sounds very low...I'd try and claim that under warranty. Even my old 1.9TDi had 90k miles on it and didn't need a clutch in that time...

-Andrew

magt1000
16-11-2012, 09:18 PM
My clutch went at 85k (3 years old - mostly motorway miles - not good enough as far as I'm concerned on a car with a nearly 30k list price). No judder but intermittent clutch slip. I got an indy to do the fix because Audi wanted twice as much to do the job. The release bearing was shot and the there was poor spring resistance on the pressure plate - friction plate only half worn. Given the reports on this forum alone it seems clear this a known issue...

fat controller
16-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Can I ask how much your indy charged?

The Polisher
16-11-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm on 130k with original clutch on mine............ and I tow 1500kgs caravan with it!

Not worried...................... yet!

magt1000
17-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Can I ask how much your indy charged?

Think at was about £850 (labour, clutch, release bearing and flywheel - all Audi parts).

fat controller
17-11-2012, 08:53 PM
My clutch is juddering when pulling away (not all the time, admittedly) and the gearbox is graunching when going into second and third (second being the worst); I had it back to the selling dealer who state that its been checked and that they can find no fault, however it simply isn't right. I am wondering if they are hoping that the warranty extension (that they paid Autoprotect for) will end up picking up the tab for it; the warranty has a claim limit of £1000 per item, so that sort of bill falls nicely underneath that - either way, I shouldn't end up footing the bill.

mhurer
18-11-2012, 08:58 AM
This sort of problem is difficult to repeat on demand, and driving style can make a difference as well. I don't think the extended warranty company will be interested until a fault can be identified by a technician, and even then it has to be a specific fault against one or more components. They might, for example, insist on a strip down of the gearbox, clutch, DMF etc at your expense and only then pay up if a fault is found that is covered by the warranty and not wear and tear. £1000 might sound a lot but it will quickly be eaten up by labour and parts. If a fault can't be found then you end up picking up the bill, unfortunately.

I had the same problem last year and learnt to adapt my driving style. It doesn't seem to be as bad this year and I can only put it down to either a change in my driving style or the weather being milder. Only time will tell.

fat controller
18-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Surely having just bought a car three or four weeks ago, I should not be accepting that there is a fault there that I cannot get resolved simply because it is deemed to be 'within tolerance'? I am aware that driving style can definitely have a bearing on how faults like the one I have, but the only way that I can seem to guarantee that the fault won't show is to boot the car away from a standing start each time - - besides the fact that I am not prepared to drive like that, doing so would surely only cause damage to other components within the gearbox?

Whilst my problem isn't there all the time, it does seem to be apparent on a fairly regular basis (I've had a couple of passengers feel it shudder), and even when its having a 'good day', there is still a bit of a crunch to be felt when changing gear (particularly second and third), which must be doing some damage to the gearbox even if that damage is minuscule?