PDA

View Full Version : a4 tdi sl ine differences 140-170bhp?

nath_donn
10-11-2012, 10:46 PM
hi
Looking at a 09 plate a4 sl ine tdi. Are there any visual differences betwee nthe 140 and 170bhp versions? Also what are the differences in mpg (urban/extra urban/combined)?
cheers

eob
11-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Hello,

I don't think there are any visual differences between the two although I think the 170 might have a red 'i' on the TDI badge.

I opted for a 143PS 2.0 TDI when I changed my company car from a 170PS VW CC. The CC returned 55MPG on my daily commute and pulled like a train.
I chose the 143 primarily for Tax reasons as the banding changed last year and also thought that I would save a bit on fuel too.
I was wrong.

The stated combined cycle for the A4 is 60MPG, I have covered 3500 miles since receiving the car in September and it has struggled to return a brim to brim calculated 40MPG.
Also, I didn't think that I'd miss 30 odd BHP but it is very noticable.
On Motorway cruises it's fine but when going for the overtake there is just nothing at the top end. For me, it felt as if the accelerator did nothing from about halfway to the deck. Felt as if something was definetly lacking over my old 170.

I considered my options and decided that I couldn't really live with that level of performance so yesterday I received and fitted my tuning box from TDI-Tuning.
I've only had a quick 70 mile run so Monday morning will be the acid test but the car certainly feels more responsive and the power delivery is spread moreover the rev band.
The DIS reported an increase of 4MPG but that will only be confirmed when I fill up next week.

There is a big debate between remaps and tuning boxes and there are pros and cons for both. I'll let you google them if you are interested, but the tuning box option suited me.

My advice, go for the 170 all day long.

Guest 2
11-11-2012, 11:37 AM
No visual differences at all between the 140 and 170.

Check engine code in the spare wheel welll or front age of the service book and there will also be a figure in KW - convert this using a KW to BHP converter.

I drove a 170 S-Line for 6000 miles and averaged 46mpg doing 100 miles per day and 100% motorway.

nath_donn
11-11-2012, 08:36 PM
thanks for the response. Strangely my other choice was a 170 tdi cc GT. How did u get on with it? Whats the interior/build quality like. Is it 2 seats on the back?]]cheers
Hello,

I don't think there are any visual differences between the two although I think the 170 might have a red 'i' on the TDI badge.

I opted for a 143PS 2.0 TDI when I changed my company car from a 170PS VW CC. The CC returned 55MPG on my daily commute and pulled like a train.
I chose the 143 primarily for Tax reasons as the banding changed last year and also thought that I would save a bit on fuel too.
I was wrong.

The stated combined cycle for the A4 is 60MPG, I have covered 3500 miles since receiving the car in September and it has struggled to return a brim to brim calculated 40MPG.
On Motorway cruises it's fine but when going for the overtake there is just nothing at the top end. For me, it felt as if the accelerator did nothing from about halfway to the deck. Felt as if something was definetly lacking over my old 170.

I considered my options and decided that I couldn't really live with that level of performance so yesterday I received and fitted my tuning box from TDI-Tuning.
I've only had a quick 70 mile run so Monday morning will be the acid test but the car certainly feels more responsive and the power delivery is spread moreover the rev band.
The DIS reported an increase of 4MPG but that will only be confirmed when I fill up next week.

There is a big debate between remaps and tuning boxes and there are pros and cons for both. I'll let you google them if you are interested, but the tuning box option suited me.

DrNorthy
11-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Hello,

I was wrong.

Can you let me know how you get on with the box

strickers
11-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Had a 170 Quattro since May, 12000 miles, 50/50 split between A road & motorway. Average so far 43.4mpg and very pleased with the car.

eob
12-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Loved it! Miss it!
An awesome car. Yes, mines was the first gen so only had two seats in the back with the large centre console in the middle, they then changed it two a full bench seat shortly before the facelift (probably to shift the remaining models). The new one is available with both I believe.
I've never owned a car that stirred so much interest, people would come up to me at petrol stations to ask what it was (Mines was debadged).
It was the GT trim but as it was a very early one, it didn't have bluetooth, cruise or parking sensors, all of which I retro-fitted.
As I said before, the 170 engine was awesome. Pulled like a train and returned 55MPG all day long. Drive it like a nun and the DIS stated low 60s! 800 miles on a tank was possible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/eob_/eob_cars/DSC03067.jpg

I liked the styling of the CC but the A4 just looks mean!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/eob_/DSC_0003_zpsc95abe5a.jpg

Hopefully this tuning chip will improve the MPG, but it'll never match the big VW.

Guest 2
12-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Your tuning chip is a 10p resistor in a fancy box fooling your car into thinking its running cold!

Go for a proper remap ;)

eob
12-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Can you let me know how you get on with the box

Will do, travelling from Glasgow to Elgin up the A9 tomorrow. My weekly commute for the past 5 months.
The A4 was giving me 40MPG on the DIS and overtaking was sometimes a bit scary.

drmartin
13-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Your tuning box should be adjustable, have a look in the unit. If you have two adjustment points, you can really dial in peek power and spread, can lift MPG significantly. Im running one from race chip in Germany, actual return 55MPG, DIS showing 58MPG