PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak.....Likely culprit

djmx5
10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi all,

Not posted for a while......oil drops on the drive...defo engine oil...spots overnight. AWX 130tdi 55 plate 67k last serviced within 2k & had rocker gasket changed as it was said to be weeping. All done by BVR automotive (site sponsor)...no criticism, good job and had mucho work done with these lads. Will probably take the car to them during the week but really curious what this could be.

I have removed the top engine plastic shroud and the top half of the engine is dry. From underneath on ramps the sump plug is dry but just below what i think is the starter motor there is oil. Rest of the car from gearbox area underneath is dry. Did not remove the undertray as was using local garage favour for a quick look.

Hope it's nowt nasty as 3 yrs on I'm still loving this car.

Any ideas guys? Thanks

D

Doctle Odd
10-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Did you look at the inter-cooler and pipework? They usually have oil in them if so its probably just a loose clip. The crankcase blow pass pipe could be split again it normally has oil in it, or a pipe could be weeping at the oil cooler or the oil cooler gasket could be weeping. None of these are particularly difficult or expensive to repair. It could be other things. Hopefully it's a cheap fix!

caldirun
10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi all,

Not posted for a while......oil drops on the drive...defo engine oil...spots overnight. AWX 130tdi 55 plate 67k last serviced within 2k & had rocker gasket changed as it was said to be weeping. All done by BVR automotive (site sponsor)...no criticism, good job and had mucho work done with these lads. Will probably take the car to them during the week but really curious what this could be.

I have removed the top engine plastic shroud and the top half of the engine is dry. From underneath on ramps the sump plug is dry but just below what i think is the starter motor there is oil. Rest of the car from gearbox area underneath is dry. Did not remove the undertray as was using local garage favour for a quick look.

Hope it's nowt nasty as 3 yrs on I'm still loving this car.

Any ideas guys? Thanks

D
A good chance it is the intercooler lower connection leaking oil, this is a special feature of the Passat tdi, they all do it. Just remove the lower tray (and bin it!) then remove the clip and let the oil drain out, replace the pipe and forget for 6 months, simples!

djmx5
10-11-2012, 06:43 PM
A4 TDi

I neglected to add on my post that at the last overhaul I had the n/s lower boost hose seal at the intercooler replaced as it was found to be leaking (at least that is what it said on the invoice for £10) Is this what you are refering to?

That was in Sept and the oil leak has only become evident during the last 7-10 days. Anyway as you suggest I'm sure it's an easy fix. From all that I have been able to find out these engines seem pretty durable....I was thinking of changing....but the Bently's these days are oh so common don't ya know and besides where would i put me girders?

Thank you for your reply.

D

djmx5
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Caldirun......thanks for the reply also, missed it whilst i was typing the last....valid point mate and will take that on board. Value your input as i have follwed your advice before now...
cheers
D