PDA

View Full Version : Drip feed approach to the new A3 Sportback launch

daveb99
10-11-2012, 09:01 AM
I've been looking at reviews etc of the 2013 A3 Sportback and am going to look at the A3 (3 door) tomorrow.

It is likely I will go for the Sportback, and will be ordering the 2.0 TDI S-Line with a few options.

However, due to Audi's usual drip feed approach, it seems that we can't yet order the S-Tronic model, nor the new 1.4 TSI with ACT.

Has anyone got any info on when these will be available to order?

I've always had manuals in the past up to my latest car (A6 2.7 TDI Le Mans Quattro Avant) - and I'm kind of used to the convenience of an auto gearbox now. Any views on the manual vs S-Tronic decision?

Guest 2
10-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Has anyone got any info on when these will be available to order?

Any views on the manual vs S-Tronic decision?

Best to ask your sales rep tbh

Go for the s tronic - just like Tiptronic but smoother and uses less fuel. It's another name for the DSG box.

daveb99
11-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks Chris. It will be a company car, and it seems (from using the 3 door A3 as an example) that going for the S-Tronic instead of a manual will add around £60 per month in terms of my tax liability. This is because the list price will be around £1500 higher, and crucially, the emissions push it into the next group (C instead of B).

On this basis I think I will need to go for the manual, which to be honest isn't a great problem, I've missed the control of a true manual gearbox over the last couple of years!

I went to Audi Leicester today to look at one (albeit 3 door of course), and was impressed. The interior was very nice - I quite like the minimalist approach to it, and the fit/finish/quality or everything was top notch. The doors closed like a roller...

I'm probably going for a 2.0 TDI S-Line, though will be making sure the ride isn't too harsh through at least one test drive etc.

The options I'm likely to go for are:

Full black leather
Heated seats
Technology pack
Comfort Pack
Audi Parking System Plus
Panoramic sunroof
Audi sound system
DAB Radio
Aluminium roof rails

It works out at about £150 a month in tax for me, for the spec above (including the car that is!!). I think this is pretty reasonable given what you're getting here. The A4, A5 and new A6 are pretty much out of reach for me financially unless I go for ultra basic SE spec with no options.

As for colour - I'm thinking Brilliant Red - those launch photos look pretty good to me. The only other colour I like a lot is Daytona Grey - but it's the same colour as my A6...

Any views on the above spec would be most welcome! I'll be ordering in the next month, for delivery March/April hopefully.

My only slight concern is the boot space, my A6 is rarely fully loaded, but when it is (2-3 family holidays per year) it is chocca, but then I figured I could just put my roof box on the A3 if I need to. The boot size difference is significant - 565 litres versus 380 for the A3. I could just leave the wife at home of course, or put her in the roof box :-)

Again, any views on this (boot size, not the wife idea) would be gratefully received!

glen_a4turbo
18-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Hi mate, I've just ordered the same and have come from a vw cc to a A3 but for the same reasons, company car tax etc...
im a little worried about boot space but like you say there is always the roof box option. Have you seen the Shiraz red or brown on the A3 yet...? The dealer near me has the red in the showroom and it looks fantastic. I've just ordered a S-Line 2.0 TDI in brown and as you said the finish is fantastic. Good luck mate. only thing I would say is take the advice of the salesman and spec standard suspension as the sport is very harsh for a company car... Your choice mind....