PDA

View Full Version : buttons operating in reverse?

MLI33D
09-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi All,

Is it normal for the buttons in the A4 to operate in reverse?

What I've noticed is the following:

The interior light buttons when pressed inwards turn the lights off and when released turn off
The buttons for the electric windows seem to operate counter-intuitively when pushing up in the buttons the windows go down and when pulling down on the buttons the windows go up?

Or is this just an Audi A4 quirk?

Thanks,
Mueed

DrNorthy
09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
My window buttons work opposite to yours ie I push down the window goes down pull up for up. (2012 model)
Maybe it's your car?

P Smiddy
10-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I think the way audi have their buttons set up causes this. They are not buttons for up and one for down, more like a pull and push if you get me. Example, you push upward which in turn pushess the button down causing the window to go down also when putting the window up you are sort of pulling down but in doing so lifts the button up........thats how i see it......as you said, and audi quirk.

Doctle Odd
10-11-2012, 04:47 PM
The grand old Duke of York would understand perfectly!

DrNorthy
10-11-2012, 05:57 PM
You lot have lost me it's as simple as
You push the button down window goes down
You pull the button up window goes up
Which to me is correct

MLI33D
10-11-2012, 09:58 PM
I think the way audi have their buttons set up causes this. They are not buttons for up and one for down, more like a pull and push if you get me. Example, you push upward which in turn pushess the button down causing the window to go down also when putting the window up you are sort of pulling down but in doing so lifts the button up........thats how i see it......as you said, and audi quirk.

Thanks for that - am just glad it's actually normal!

Will take some getting used to that's all - but the interior light one is the more bizarre one.............

Doctle Odd
10-11-2012, 10:25 PM
When they were up, they were up
And when they were down, they were down
And when they were only halfway up
They were neither up nor down....
You lot have lost me it's as simple as
You push the button down window goes down
You pull the button up window goes up
Which to me is correct

porty
11-11-2012, 01:05 AM
I think it's the law that electric window buttons have to be pulled upwards to close a car window as children have previously been killed by standing on the buttons often located on flat door arms when they had their heads out of the window. This was from a time when windows still had power when the ignition was turned off and when windows didn't retract if they encountered any resistance; and was also from a time when window controls were often flat rocker switches, pressing down on one end to open a window and the other end to close them.

MLI33D
11-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I think it's the law that electric window buttons have to be pulled upwards to close a car window as children have previously been killed by standing on the buttons often located on flat door arms when they had their heads out of the window. This was from a time when windows still had power when the ignition was turned off and when windows didn't retract if they encountered any resistance; and was also from a time when window controls were often flat rocker switches, pressing down on one end to open a window and the other end to close them.

This makes a lot of sense when thinking back on my Ford where the buttons made much more sense to use but were non-recessed rocker-based - so the above scenario would have absolutely been possible:yikes:.

PS Once again the A4 is right and I'm wrong - having already been told me off so many times LOL