PDA

View Full Version : help! engine warning light diagnostic problem, newbe question

nevsummer
07-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Hiya all,
I've just bought an A4 avant se 2.4 auto estate xreg 2001 (8d on the vin number I think) from a friend who works at a Range Rover dealership, It has one main fault and thats the engine warning light is on and wont go off.
The machanics at the dealership have done a full check and there is absolutly no problem on the system but the light wont reset.
An Audi dealership wants £120 to (check) the problem but the range rover machanics assure me that it's totally fine.
Does anyone know of this problem I've checked some threads on other sites and it seems that there has been an audi bulitin about this in 2001, has anyone had this fixed? and has anyone seen the bulitin?

Also can the waning light be reset with the Rosstech vcds software also is this the right Obd2 cable for my car.
VAG GROUP USB COM PORT OBD2 II KKL ECU DIAGNOSTIC CABLE LEAD WORK VCDS-LITE /409 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271036790042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

Just been driving my fab car today and it's totally amazing, was used to an E200 Merc but I'm an convert now in less than 24hrs

Thanks for reading, hope someone can help

Best wishes
Chris

Doctle Odd
07-11-2012, 11:39 PM
You need the car scanned with the full version of VCDS. There's a map on the site showing the location of members with VCDS that will scan a car for small beer tokens. A mechanic that tells you a car is fine with a check engine light glowing? Hmmm I think not Finknottle! That light comes on for a reason. You can only do a partial scan with the VCDS

nevsummer
08-11-2012, 12:22 AM
You need the car scanned with the full version of VCDS. There's a map on the site showing the location of members with VCDS that will scan a car for small beer tokens. A mechanic that tells you a car is fine with a check engine light glowing? Hmmm I think not Finknottle! That light comes on for a reason. You can only do a partial scan with the VCDS

thanks for your reply, do you know if this is the right OBD2 cable for my car?

Doctle Odd
08-11-2012, 12:50 AM
It will work but in a very limited way

nevsummer
08-11-2012, 01:08 AM
It will work but in a very limited way

hi do you have a link to where I can get the right cable for my car (A4 b5) I have vcds 10.6.2

Doctle Odd
08-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Here it is Treat Yourself

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

nevsummer
08-11-2012, 01:16 AM
cheers