PDA

View Full Version : Passat remote key

dysdera
13-06-2006, 05:32 PM
I have just purchased a passat 1.8 20vSE with 86K on the clock.
My problem is that although I have the remote key I can only lock it with the key in the door. I have checked that the key is transmitting using a scanner tuned to 433.9 Mhz and I can hear it buzzing. I wonder if there is a way of getting the key working again or am I to go to VW and pay £37 as the nice lady said.
Otherwise I am delirious about the car as it drives beautifully.

zorgie
20-06-2006, 10:28 AM
I have been having issues with my Passat which included the key not working remotely(this isnt my big problem though) Firstly, do you ahve electric windows and do they still work, also the interior lights? If they dont then Fuse 14 has gone, else ( if I understand the manual correctly) You need to hold the remotelocking button in for a second and then unlock or lock the car for the car to register/assign or recognise (whatever the term might be) the key and the frequency. I think its in the manual, if you page through youll find it quite close to the front of the book.

dysdera
22-06-2006, 07:03 AM
The interior lights, central locking and electric windows work fine. The instructions in the book did not work as I had already ried that, but they seem to refer to infra red as they say point at interior mirror as I remember. VAG quoted me £44 which seems a lot of money for something so simple, and after all as far as I am concerned if they cannot design key fobs that lose data it should be there problem. I have never had a cheap car alarm need to go back to have the key fob re-programmed!!

zorgie
22-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Oh dear, I have to say I did end up buy a new FOB and having it recoded, although my recoding cost me £34. the keyfob on the other hand was about £45. Im not 100% sure if they lied to me on if the key was actually broken or not, but hopefully ill beok for another few miles :biglaugh:.
In my manual it doesnt say anything about infrared I have to be honest, It just says to replace the batteries ( if required), Press a open or close button and then put the key into the lock within 1minute and turnt he key ( unlocking or locking) and supposedly its supposed to "learn" or whatever. Anyway a shame that it didnt work for you :(