PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav updates

moptisam2
07-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Had my car for just a month - manufactured mid-September - with the Technology High pack (satnav on HDD), but it seems that it would already benefit from an update.

Are there updates available? If so, where and how much?

Before I ask the dealer I thought I would get some realistic responses from you guys.

Thanks

Guest 2
07-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Audi dealer only as it requires an online connection to Germany for activation.

You will have the latest maps - 2013 map pack isnt out for a while yet.

porty
11-11-2012, 01:27 AM
A6_Chris, It sounds as though you know about the timing of the map releases! I have a three year old S4 that I have owned from new and was thinking of getting the 3G MMI HDD maps updated, but it sounds like I should wait a few more months - do you know when the 2013 update is due out? How often do they issue updates? Do you know what the dealer will charge me for the update?

Many thanks

Guest 2
11-11-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm basing the timing on the release of the 2G MMI so they shouldn't be too far apart.

Last years release of 2G around December/January if I can remember correctly but I'm open to be corrected on that.

mhurer
11-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Any idea how much a dealer would ask to do an upgrade for a 58 plate 2G MMI which has never been updated?

Guest 2
11-11-2012, 04:29 PM
58 plate is very new for 2G unless it was sitting around waiting to be registered.

You can get discs on ebay - you search mmi 2g 2012 etc and take your pick.

You just put the disc into the nav drive and it will load the new maps.

moptisam2
12-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I have had a response from the dealer to say that software updates will be available but that no firm price has been set yet. I have replied that as it seems there are problems with the satnav just installed I would consider an update to be under the guarantee.

Has any other member had problems with the satnav on recently produced cars - mine was built w/c 10 September?

Thanks

Guest 2
12-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I have had a response from the dealer to say that software updates will be available but that no firm price has been set yet. I have replied that as it seems there are problems with the satnav just installed I would consider an update to be under the guarantee.

Has any other member had problems with the satnav on recently produced cars - mine was built w/c 10 September?

Thanks

Having problems like this? - Question MMI 3G Sat. Nav. Voice Prompts Timing (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81193)

DrNorthy
12-11-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks

Mine has lost itself a few times and not had a clue where it is. It also did it in France and took a couple of days to relocate itself that was very annoying.

drmartin
13-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Mine has lost itself a few times and not had a clue where it is. It also did it in France and took a couple of days to relocate itself that was very annoying.

That could be to do with coding, mine did that about once a week for 20 mins or so, and just when I wanted it to guide me, since then examined the setup with VCDS and noticed some of the coding was wrong, corrected and been fine for the last 6 months.

Guest 2
13-11-2012, 08:50 PM

usually if this happens your gps antenna is shot

DrNorthy
04-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Thought i would post that this issue has been resolved.
It was not the car but the tracker that is fitted was faulty and the signal somehow was messing with my satnav. Changed the tracker box and everything (touch wood) has been fine.

Feemy82
15-03-2013, 12:34 PM
I just installed the 2012 2G Europe MMI update. I did a search on some newish locations like the Westfield Shopping centre in Stratford (postcode E20) and it doesn't exist. Also, the Olympic stadium doesn't appear. Is this expected? Is there any way of finding out which places have been updated?

Many thanks.

DrNorthy
15-03-2013, 12:52 PM
My Mum just bought a Q3 with the 2013 satnav on an SD card now, could i copy the sd card and burn it to a disc would this then work in my 2012 A4 and would it be worth the hassle is it any different to mine?

Allroad05
04-04-2013, 11:37 PM
does anyone know where I can get the old sat nav coding from to reverse an update on an RNS-E please?

Zenerdiode
05-04-2013, 12:58 AM
My Mum just bought a Q3 with the 2013 satnav on an SD card now, could i copy the sd card and burn it to a disc would this then work in my 2012 A4 and would it be worth the hassle is it any different to mine?

Have you read Chris' reply above? The SD card data has to be activated with an online connection to Germany. No cracks, no kegens, no 'medicine', no plug-in dongle, no putting in the freezer for an hour, no disconnecting-the-battery-with-the-power-button-held-down - an online connection to Germany...

Guest 2
05-04-2013, 06:45 AM
does anyone know where I can get the old sat nav coding from to reverse an update on an RNS-E please?

You want to downgrade your FW yes?

Allroad05
05-04-2013, 08:32 AM
the problem is I bought a disc with the 2013 maps that said it would be compatible and it has pushed the firmware to version 260, actually it may even be 650 but I am so far out of my comfort zone I am not sure - anyway the new map disk is not being read properly and neither does not recognise my old disk - is there a way to turn the clock back so to speak?

Enders
06-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Hi guys. I have just picked my 08 a4 avant up (yesterday) so not sure what 2g 3G mmi etc means and even what sat nav I have yet. But would like to up date the sat nav DVD. I have found this one on eBay. It's the same sat nav screen and buttons etc but my hazard switch and ESP button are on top of the screen. Would this one work in mine.
<removed - non genuine disc link>

Thanks.

Allroad05
06-04-2013, 09:48 AM
you need to be sure which system you have but in essence the 2G unit was in the 2005 A6 C5 so I suspect yours is a 3G or MMI - be careful as the 2G system in mine has an MMI splash screen.

My instinct is that it will work but the easiest thing to do to be sure is to drop your head unit out - get the part number and then establish exactly which system you have and get the correct disk - kill the head unit and you are facing north of 500 notes in a worst case scenario so patience is a virtue - do your research and do not make mistakes - there are plenty on here who know - A6_Chris above being one of the best from what I have read.

Guest 2
06-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Allroad - I would try a lense cleaner first, and the older MK1 RNSE units had a problem with the laser which needed cleaned with a cotton ear bud which only requires removal of the top cover of the unit.

Enders - that is for a RNSE, and is not genuine. If you type MMI 2G DVD into eBay you will get the disc you need.

As Allroad says, 2008 was the switchover point between B7/8 cars ad you may actually have a B7 with RNSE. If you could provide a picture of your dash we can see which system is fitted, but going by the location of the ESP button, it is more than likely a B7 with RNSE.

Allroad05
06-04-2013, 10:46 AM
thanks A6_Chris - I will give that a try

Enders
06-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Ok I have dug out the manual (RTFM) springs to mind :biglaugh: It says Audi nav system plus (rnse) and here's a picture of the dash.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8401/8623481035_c85a01ce52.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/enderz79/8623481035/)
Dash 1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/enderz79/8623481035/) by enderz79 (http://www.flickr.com/people/enderz79/), on Flickr

Allroad05
06-04-2013, 05:28 PM
A6_Chris - many thanks I cleaned the lens with a cotton bud and a little lighter fuel and it seems to have done the trick

do you happen to know the best solution to provide an iPod interface onto the RNS-E 2G head unit please?

Allroad05
06-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Enders that looks like it could be an RNS-E 2G or 3G you cannot be sure unless you drop the head unit out - I have now managed to get the 2013 disk working in my RNS-E 2G head unit so you should be ok - if the second button from the bottom left says CD/TV then I think it is a 2G unit

Guest 2
06-04-2013, 05:40 PM
correct - if it has a CD/TV button its a MK1. If it has a Media button (like mine) its a MK2.

And excellent news on the fix, glad it helped.

I know for the MK2's you can add Audi Music Interface but this won't work on the MK1's.

I think Dension or XCARLINK do something for the RNSE. Have a google or do a quick search on here.

Enders
06-04-2013, 05:42 PM
It is CD/TV. where did you get your 2013 disk from?

Guest 2
06-04-2013, 05:43 PM
I bought mine from eBay - genuine brand new still sealed for £80 winning bid.

Make sure you get the RNSE version - you may have to do what Allroad had to do and give the laser a little clean ;)

Enders
06-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Was that by searching for MMI G2DVD? sorry for the more stupid questions!!! its all a little greek to me at the moment.

Guest 2
06-04-2013, 06:36 PM
No no, that was me assuming you had a B8 A4.

Do a search for RNSE DVD and pick your disc from the listings.

Allroad05
06-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Enders if you go to ebay I bought one for £4.20 and one for £10.00 - strangely the £10 one will not work but after a clean of the lens the £4.20 one works like a dream

Enders
07-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks again guys.

I will now also make sure I post in b7 an not b8 :p

dave