PDA

View Full Version : Winter tyres vs 4WD ?

cs2009
07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm interested in trading in my Golf for one of the new models. Hiowever, as I have recently moved to a village, where many of the roads may not get cleared of snow in Winter, I'm wondering about the relative merits of 2WD + Winter tyres or something with 4WD.

Apparently, there are no plans for a 4motion version of the new Golf for the forseeable future, and the availability of the Quattro version of the new A3 is also not expected until sometime next year. So if I didn't get a Golf, I would probably go for a Q3.

Anyone have any experience of such 4WD SUVs, particularly in snow and ice, and would winter tyres on a 2WD be better or worse ?

Hex69
07-11-2012, 12:06 PM
In order of effectiveness in slippery conditions worst to best.

RWD summer tyres
FWD summer tyres
4WD summer tyres
RWD winter Tyres
FWD winter tyres
4WD winter tyres

Basically, winter tyres are more effective then 4wd.

zollaf
07-11-2012, 12:12 PM
4wd is alsways going to give more grip than 2wd, but when the tyres have no grip, nothing works. a 2wd with snow tyres will beat a 4wd on summer tyres but a 4wd on winters is unstoppable. even a new range rover with all its electronics will end up in the hedge on summers.

EssexGonzo
07-11-2012, 09:40 PM
IMHO depends on a couple of factors.

Do you secretly want a high riding bling SUV? If so, own up and get yerself one. ;-)

However, if your only consideration is grip in a standard car, get yer Golf and some winter tyres.

I live on a hill and have an A2 with winter tyres. Last winter, the bloke across the road with the 2009 Rangie and 2012 X6 both on 20+ rims and summer tyres came across to ask me how I was getting up the hill.

Too many people justify their SUV purchase with "I need more grip" rather than "I think it makes me look cool".

Nothing wrong with the latter but with summer tyres it doesn't give you grip in the snow.....

zollaf
07-11-2012, 09:43 PM
theres a thread on a landy forum with a chap moaning because his range rover crashed going down a steep snow covered road. he has selected 'snow terrain' and drove down it, and just got faster and faster until he crashed into the wall. all the landy's fault though because 'snow terrain' didn't let him drive very well on his road tyres in snow.

Brycie
07-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I live on a hill and have an A2 with winter tyres. Last winter, the bloke across the road with the 2009 Rangie and 2012 X6 both on 20+ rims and summer tyres came across to ask me how I was getting up the hill.

:biglaugh: That must have damaged their pride :p. Did you simply turn round and say "Vorsprung Durch Technique" :biglaugh:. Ok, you may look smug sying it but it would have been amusing.

On a serious note though, great question OP.

johnloaderuk
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Watch this, road tyres doing almost nothing, on a fairly smooth and level field with a very light coating of mud

Who said Range Rovers were good off road!!*- - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ShJZnH3flQ&playnext=1&list=PLCB6A86C634A35CC4&feature=results_main)

Eshrules
08-11-2012, 09:43 AM
You can buy the biggest 4x4 with the grippiest tyres in the world, but if you drive like a moron you'll still come a cropper.

During the winter of 2007 I was that confident in my golf's all terrain capability that I was delivering a double bunkbed I'd sold on eBay - in a snow blizzard.

I know I don't live in Alaska, but I've had small FWDs for the last 10 years and I've not once got stuck - never fitted winter tyres either <smug>

cs2009
09-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies on this.

I will get the Golf + some winter tyres.
(I really didn't want to have to get a Chelsea tractor !)

Teflon
09-11-2012, 04:53 PM
In Norway and Sweden you can't get a driving licence until you've done the winter driving course and proved that you are at least half way competent. It's a pity we don't have that sort of endorsement on licences, the same as for driving tracked vehicles and HGV's. That way, just bar the un-endorsed from the roads whenever the gritters have been out. I've never been stuck in snow, but have had to dump the car more than once because a hill has been blocked by some halfwit with spinning wheels and a lead foot.

Speaking of Scandinavia, it's a pity that studded tyres are banned here. I've driven thousands of miles on them there on everything from snow to compacted ice and they are superb. I'd recommend that the OP gets some snow chains or boots.

zollaf
09-11-2012, 05:19 PM
since when have studded tyres been banned. i used to have them on a landy in 92', they were great, leave dig marks in tarmac and a trail of sparks. after a call to police hq in swindon, they could find no law that said they couldn't be used all year round.

Hex69
09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
since when have studded tyres been banned. i used to have them on a landy in 92', they were great, leave dig marks in tarmac and a trail of sparks. after a call to police hq in swindon, they could find no law that said they couldn't be used all year round.

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

1986 No. 1078 - PART II - C - Regulation 27 (h)

(h)the tyre is not maintained in such condition as to be fit for the use to which the vehicle or trailer is being put or has a defect which might in any way cause damage to the surface of the road or damage to persons on or in the vehicle or to other persons using the road.

Damage to road, person or vehicle

If the tyre causes either damage to the road, or to persons, or to any vehicle using the road. This would cover such instances as if a vehicle with damaged or very oversized tyres which either caught against a person or other vehicle resulting in either damage or injury. Studded tyres also are included in this clause and if used in inappropriate conditions (i.e. where there is no ice or snow) and they damage the road surface then they would be clearly illegal.

zollaf
09-11-2012, 05:29 PM
right, there we are then, another crime i was guilty of in my youth but had no idea i was committing.

zollaf
09-11-2012, 05:37 PM
incidentally, they were awesome on ice. went off roading one day and we were driving over a frozen bit (only a couple of foot deep)everyone else was just sliding about having fun and i couldn't. literally like driving on tarmac. that was until the ice broke.

turpal
09-11-2012, 09:01 PM
In order of effectiveness in slippery conditions worst to best.

RWD summer tyres
FWD summer tyres
4WD summer tyres
RWD winter Tyres
FWD winter tyres
4WD winter tyres

Basically, winter tyres are more effective then 4wd.

Totally agree as know by my own experience.A4 4x4 had to be pushed by 3 men on a kirb where I claimed up on my passat with winter tyres not even spinning.