PDA

View Full Version : passat 2.0s automatic gearbox 60mph at 3,000 rpm ?

spannerman001
06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
hi just purchased a 2001 passat 2.0s automatic petrol with 53,000 miles on the clock car runs sweet gearbox seems to change up/down smooth, having just sold my saab 2.0 auto and purchased the passat have a silly question when i drive the gearbox always feels like it should be 1 gear higher even with light throttle use ie: when on bypass or motorway doing steady 60mph engine sounds like it needs another gear rpm showing a tad over 3,000 which seems high as my saab would do 70mph at about 2,500 rpm. like i said sounds a silly question but is this normal for a vw passat auto box ? thanks peter

djah
06-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Hi there.
Not sure if you have the tip tropic or not, but mine usually needs a prompt to change up, especially when cold.
Your first, and cheapest, port of call would be to do an oil and filter change.
Be warned, the oil ain't cheap.
Its about €60 here in Ireland for 4.5 litres.
If this doesn't cure it you could be looking at problems with the valve body and that's silly money unless you are confident enough to do it yourself.
Good luck.
Dave.

Doctle Odd
06-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I agree

spannerman001
06-11-2012, 09:25 PM
hi its a standard 1,2,3, drive auto box the gear box is selecting all the gears 1 to 4 ok up and down the box, sorry my naive way of explaing problem, when driving it feels like the gearbox low geared ie: like driving a manual with slipping clutch, hence revs seem a bit high considering speed, are the vw passats known for there low gear ratio, its like driving my old saab in sport mode (all the time), hope this makes sense???? will try to find another car on a garage forecourt and test drive that to compare any difference, shame as i love the all the rest of the passat gearbox lets it down feels/sounds like a nissan duke (bloody awful) feels like your screwing the boL***s out of it even around the doors, its probley just me compairing it to my saab 9-3, bloody wife wanted an automatic i wanted manual, now she said " its too big, i'll never park that big thing... ye gods women...lol thanks peter