PDA

View Full Version : multitronic failure

villiers
15-08-2007, 10:16 PM
hello i bought a A4 with multitronic gearbox with 40,000 miles from a frend 6months ago it now has 46,000 it started to judder when pulling away from a standing start as it was due a service at 40,000 miles now at 46,000 i thought it was time to get it serviced before it got to the garage it lost drive local audi dealer quoted £4400 for the repair no help from audi because of failing to have 40,000 service carried out i have taken the car to a autogearbox repairer who thinks it may cost £3200 to have it rebuilt is this a fair price to pay?

RickT
15-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

RickT

Ben
16-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Welcome, i'd ring round a few more places.

stuart
16-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Could try speaking to John at Inde-Tech;)

villiers
16-08-2007, 07:51 PM
I spoke to inde tech he was helpful I already have the car at a repair centre (the one quoting £3,200) and he seems to know his stuff. He has told me today that it needs a gear box ECU which will have to be ordered from Germany ready coded to the car which is going to take 10 days. It may also need other parts. Not sleeping too well, financial bewilderment has set in!!

a8 tech
16-08-2007, 08:33 PM
be carefull as this sounds to me like the seven plate clutch mod not the control unit,but also can be affected by engine performance especialy if its remaped as there is to much friction on the clutch plates when pulling away.Also the atf filter may be blocked and the oil is only good for 40,000 miles and 42,000 miles is the most audi will goto for warranty repairs or good will.I hve just re read the post and you say you have lost all drive,this would confirm a clutch pack issue and reduce the symptom relating to the control unit.A mechanical failure has occured and it would be more sensible in the long run to replace the transmission and flush out the system completly(6 flushes)to remove debris in the atf system.

villiers
17-08-2007, 07:37 PM
it was my wife who was driving the car when it broke down. There was no noise change in the car, travelling along the flat at 40mph and it seemed to lose drive as if it had gone into neutral. She pulled up and put the gear control into different settings, nothing seemed to work and then it suddenly started working again, she thinks after putting it into reverse. She travelled on for about two miles and the same thing happened but this time she could not get it to work again. I went to assist her (it took me about 20 minutes to get there) and when I started the car it went straight into gear. I turned it round and set off down the road and within half a mile it was just like as if the clutch was slipping. We limped it to a safe place and then had it taken by trailer to local Audi dealer. (Have I posted this in the right place as I struggle to find it when I come back on to the site!!):confused:

villiers
02-09-2007, 04:13 PM
hello here is an update on my multitronic failure car still at auto gearbox repair center been there since about 10/08/07 having trouble getting parts gearbox ecu is still on back order from audi (has to be supplyed code matched from audi in Germany) wife and family getting through shoes like no tommrow I will keep you informed as soon as there are any developments:confused:

onzarob
02-09-2007, 09:11 PM
sounds like a right hassle, thanks for keeping us updated, hopefully good news soon;)

villiers
11-09-2007, 10:21 PM
11/9/07 gearbox back in car but! no program in long awaited new ecu autogearbox shop cannot program it so he took it to a audi dealer ship around preston area they cannot fix it but are going to replace the ecu under warranty on the brigter side at least the cars avarage mileage is being reduced hope it doesnt take another month to get the next ecu as walking is a very overated pastime keep you posted

jpmigliano
09-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Hi, I have the same problem and I believe my car is out of warranty. Is there an Audi memo out there that can help me to get this covered under warranty / recall?
Thanks!

10-10-2007, 11:07 AM
I have an A6 Avant less than four years old on which the clutch has failed, using the info from this forum I contacted the guys at Inde-tech who were very helpful. Again using the info from this site I managed to get Audi UK and my dealer in Manchester to contribute towards the cost otherwise I would have used Inde-tech.

One advantage of buying with a service history is you have a come back- albeit with a fight with Audi.