PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card problem?

scotty33
04-11-2012, 02:50 PM
My desktop pc has a problem. It runs fine for 10-15 mins then the monitor goes blank (or black). The computer continues to run, sound is uninterrupted.
It runs Linux mint debian, I have another boot of Linux mint 12 which behaves the same. Am I right in guessing the graphics card is dying? pcie with passive cooling (heat seems to be an issue with this pc.)

potshot
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
First thing to do would be to make sure your have the latest driver for the card.

scotty33
04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Sorry to sound obtuse, but I have not added any drivers, linux seemed to recognise the card and worked ok. I doubt the manufacturer has anything for linux anyway? If they did, I would not know how to update them.

potshot
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Go onto the manufacturers website and they should have the latest drivers for your operating system

fat controller
04-11-2012, 11:17 PM
If heat is an issue with the PC, try running it with its case open, and maybe even with a fan blowing at it, and see if the symptoms change

Timmeh
23-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Would kick out drivers as the issue - fair chance it would only happen on one install rather than both versions of linux if that were the case
Rip the side/top of the case off and run see if that gives you more time before it packs in and if heat is an issue
Swap sockets if you have more pcie on your mobo
then its a case of picking up a spare cheap one and swapping out (even if it doesnt help, its always nice to have a spare) cheapest on ebuyer is 22 notes - worth the test in my book, depends how old the pc is and its upgrade or replace time...

whats in the box?

Quattromatt
27-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Does the PC work immediately after this? i.e. if you power down and reboot, does the display work and die in a similar way after a similar amount of time or does it require a waiting time before it fires up again?

If straight away it's unlikely to be heat.

...Also worth noting that the latest Ubuntu linux has a known issue with this sort of freezing up. Not sure if this is the same with Debian as I haven't used version 12.

scotty33
27-01-2013, 08:58 PM
There are actually 2 issues,

1 after using for a fair length of time or more often, when viewing video, the whole pc goes off, the monitor goes into 'power saving mode' so technically is still 'on' at the point of failure. When this happens, the pc can be rebooted immediately but usually does it again within a minute or so. I previously had this problem and had to unplug/turn off the power supply for 5 seconds before it could be rebooted. I suspected a power supply problem so bought a 700w part. It still 'trips out' but no longer needs the power supply resetting to reboot.

2 The pc stays 'on' if playing vid, the sound continues, but the monitor goes black, thinking out loud, maybe standby/sleep mode? If I power off the pc and restart all is well (for as long as can be expected)

It is a Athlon 5400 I think dual core, foxconn mobo, I had a similar issue (well issue 1) with the previous athlon 3000XP processor and mobo in this case. And fwiw, there was a working windows XP partition, which suffered the same gremlins. In fact it 'died' as a result of attempting to reboot too early and 'tripping out' mid boot cycle!

edit, I recently started reusing this pc after a break of a few months, it seems a bit more stable but still suffers both issues

Quattromatt
27-01-2013, 11:11 PM
The whole PC going off would generally be more related to heat somewhere other than the graphics card. Usually graphics cards will tend to break up and distort the display, or cause the video to lock up rather than outright resetting it. Overheating CPU on the otherhand can cause what you describe and AMD's are a pain for this.

Is it some kind of micro case? If so an AMD chip and anything other than a basic graphics card (particularly if it's an ATI) will probably be a bit much for it.

There is a free utility called coretemp that will let you monitor your CPU temperature. Yours should stay around 60deg. Should work with reasonable stability up to around 90deg but may start to fall over/reset after that. This is where I would start.

scotty33
28-01-2013, 12:04 PM
No not a micro case, ATx tower with 4 cd rom bays. I think it's heat too, the graphics card is passive cooled, if the processor is cranking it out, and not enough ventilation then I guess it is whichever breaks down first. I have tried it with the side casing off, but not with a fan blowing into the case, will try that next then get a better ventilated, maybe gamer's case if successful? thanks for all suggestions

AdvocateUK
16-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Troubleshooting problems like this in Linux, if you're not a geek (no insult intended, I'm a geek), can be a nightmare. It can be a nightmare even if you ARE a geek.

If you haven't installed any drivers this may be the cause, although Linux purists would argue otherwise, I'd recommend downloading and using the closed source, proprietary drivers that the graphics card manufacturer offers. Although the installation of these drivers may not be as straightforward as it is in Windows.

This could be something as simple as a power saving issue rearing it's head, or it may be something more serious. Hard to say.

In the good old days when I used to build and review PC's and PC hardware I'd have diagnosed what the problem was by swapping out various parts one by one until the problem was cured, but not many people have that many spare parts lying around. And based on my last experience with a local "PC repair" shop I wouldn't trust any shop to honestly diagnose and fix the problem.

I wish I could help more but without more information it's difficult, best of luck with it though.

scotty33
16-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the reply,
I think there is a heat issue. I can surf web, Email etc for hours, but something more intensive like online games or video can make it fall over in a matter of minutes sometimes.
I also think you are right about power saving, if I leave it unattended too long I get a 'black screen with blinking - symbol top left.
You are also right , I have no clue how to add drivers to Linux!
It's not too bad at the moment, I can live with it.

MikhailCompo
12-11-2013, 12:27 AM
A dedicated GPU from within the last 3 years will DEFO have variable clock speed, so if you are not doing anything that is using the processing, it should not heat up to the level to stop functioning, even if passively cooled.

However, 3d graphics cards are consumer devices, and as so are not very reliable, especially the non/lesser known branded ones (i dont mean ati or nvidia, the people who stuck the bits together).

TO cut a long story short, it definitely sounds like a GPU issue, whether its cooling or just end of life, the result is the same, you need a new one. Or buy a mainboard with onboard (i recommend the Core i5/i7 with intel graphics through the CPU), extremely reliable and very fast. I would never buy AMD or ATI again i dont think, its just too much pain for the extra few quid that reliability gives. Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU is the best combo i would say.

Sam
12-11-2013, 09:55 AM
November 2012 - hopefully the issue has been resolved

scotty33
12-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Unfortunately my progress is glacial, it runs well enough for most of my needs with the side off the case for a bit more cooling. If the nippers play too much you tube or penguin games it tends to conk out so I live with it. Next card will be branded or onboard as advised Thank you all.

Eshrules
12-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately my progress is glacial, it runs well enough for most of my needs with the side off the case for a bit more cooling. If the nippers play too much you tube or penguin games it tends to conk out so I live with it. Next card will be branded or onboard as advised Thank you all.

You do realise running a pc with it's side panel off is, like, against the law?

You screw up the airflow of the case and invite foreign bodies and dust into those sensitive shiny components.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2