PDA

View Full Version : b5 spring perches

deano1978
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Just went to local audi dealers to get these for my audi a4 b6. Think he quoted £25 each.
He wasnt sure if they fit the b6 so didnt buy them,also do you need a left and a right?

This is because the front sits a little higher than the rear. And believe people reccomend the garage to do as its a pain it the rear.

sam.bird3
04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Just went to local audi dealers to get these for my audi a4 b6. Think he quoted £25 each.
He wasnt sure if they fit the b6 so didnt buy them,also do you need a left and a right?

This is because the front sits a little higher than the rear. And believe people reccomend the garage to do as its a pain it the rear.
I'm looking at this mod. I was told £22 each from my local dealer, He said he knows of this mod and says "Off the record" he knows it can and has been done, but as an Audi employee he cannot recommend it, and for safety reasons will not give a guarantee nor anything from Audi saying it is an approved Audi modification. It definitely works though as I have done lots of "Google research!!" It involves removing the Front Suspension, Taking the springs off the B6 Shocks and removing the B6 Perch (Just slides off the shock once spring removed), the B5 one then slides over the B6 Shock and sits in the same place, then obviously fit it all back together. My Audi dealer said the only problem he can see with this is the B5 Springs may be Thicker or Thinner than the B6 Ones and that means the spring will not sit right in the Perch.

dpbayly
04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Ive fitted a set last week at the same time as fitting Apex 40mm lowering springs, I paid £21.06 each but im in the trade.

dead easy to fit just tap the old perch off the shock and tap the new one in place and no there not sided part number i ordered and fitted 8D0412103B

How mine sits:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm202/dpbayly/A4%20Avant%203%200V6/20121103_125904.jpg

sam.bird3
05-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi Dpbayly, What shocks have you got? Are they S-Line or SE? I read somewhere it may not work on SE shocks as it brings them down too low.

dpbayly
05-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Hi Dpbayly, What shocks have you got? Are they S-Line or SE? I read somewhere it may not work on SE shocks as it brings them down too low.

Mines an SE looked like an All Road before lowering....

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm202/dpbayly/A4%20Avant%203%200V6/20121030_133027.jpg

sam.bird3
05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Cheers.

have you come across any issues?

dpbayly
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Nope none

sam.bird3
05-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Cool, looks like I will go ahead with it once my interior is complete

deano1978
05-11-2012, 07:11 PM
How easy? For a mechanic it is. The novice? i assumed u need to take springs out with special tools?

dpbayly
05-11-2012, 07:50 PM
How easy? For a mechanic it is. The novice? i assumed u need to take springs out with special tools?

Can be a nightmare if top suspension arm pinch bolts are seized, I had my off side apart to change the top arms 2 days before so pinch bolt came straight out but near side was stuck tight and as i didn't need the grief of getting the bolt out i left it in and took it apart from the other end of the arms, once the shock is off the car you will need spring clamps to get them apart, to be honest it's not something i would recommend a novice try on the drive might be lucky and it come apart but there's a higher chance that them top pinch bolts will need either heat or an air chisel to get them free.

sam.bird3
05-11-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty good as a DIY mechanic, I done my Water Pump and Thermostat outside my house so i'm pretty handy with the spanners, But when I tried to lower my Car I had major trouble with the pinch bolts (Like dpbayly rightly says, they are a real pain!!) so I had to admit defeat and let my Local garage do the work. But.........now they have been done I will be able to do the Perches myself.(like dpbayley says) I would not recommend doing this if you are either a Novice or your suspension hasn't been touched as the pinch bolts will be Impossible to break if you are on Axle stands and not working from a Ramp.

deano1978
05-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Thats that then. Garage it is. Cheers guys.