PDA

View Full Version : Question the "least worst" alternative to washing your car yourself

MLI33D
02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi,

Just had a worried older bro in a panic over his TT having read in the TT forums about the dangers of hand car washes performed by local European "Experts" and how when they drop their sponges they simply carry on with all the grit and stones picked up.

After getting over the aww bless he cares for his car and realising my car isn't exempt, my first thoughts were simply going to the dealer - but the perception I have from others here is that they're just as bad if not worse!

So what with the shorter days and winter setting in, what's the "least worst" alternative you guys would suggest during this period to washing the car myself?

Thanks,

theskyfox
02-11-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm gonna be honest, and probably lose kudos for this. When I got my car delivered last year, I think I hand washed it about 3 times..before finally giving up, being lazy and using the local car wash lol. Its a hand car wash, they don't do a bad job..but I have had the occasional swirl on the paint. Ironically..the most damage has been done by seagulls pooping on it at work...that stuff is like the acid from the alien movies. Even washing it yourself, you will accidentally introduce small marks, scratches etc no matter how careful you are eventually...

In answer to your question...I doubt you'll find anyone as careful as yourself when it comes to "outsourcing" your car cleaning.

-Andrew

Doctle Odd
02-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Bribe the kids :biglaugh:

Guest 2
02-11-2012, 05:54 PM
IMO dealer is just as bad

If I don't have time to wash mine it will stay dirty until I can wash it myself, properly!

I've gone 3 months without washing the cars! ;)

B_4low
02-11-2012, 08:19 PM
IMO if your willing to spend some serious £ on a car, you obviously car a bit about cars so take the time and wash it yourself. The more you do it with wax and polish etc the easier it gets with washing in between. Just my 2ps worth.

eob
03-11-2012, 10:45 AM
My VW came back from a service covered in light scratches and the alloys had been scratched by what looked like the end of the jet wash lance.
They denied it of course stating that thats how it came in, but I'm fairly particular about how I clean my cars.
The light scratches polished out but I had the alloy marks until I got rid of it.
From that point on I got them to put in big bold letters "DO NOT CLEAN CAR AFTER SERVICE" on the work sheet.
And that was it, car was serviced only. Only downside was that they didn't hoover the inside either. :biglaugh:
Anyway, I'll be doing the same with the Audi when it goes in because lets face it, they are going to make the most junior service guy do all the car washing aren't they?

eob
03-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Bribe the kids :biglaugh:

I wouldn't let my kids within a thousand miles of my car with any type of cleaning implement, I've seen what they do, "Oops, dropped it, never mind!" Straight back onto the paintwork! :bigeyes:

MLI33D
05-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Andrew - I salute your bravery for that admission! Good points you made also.....

If I don't have time to wash mine it will stay dirty until I can wash it myself, properly!

Makes sense to me - but is there any risk to paintwork in doing leaving it this long? Car manufacturers and cleaning products bleat about washing weekly if not fortnightly.

Mueed

hagler
06-11-2012, 12:54 PM
For a quick wash if you have a power washer, get a fitting that you can use for snow foaming the car, rinse then use a drying towel to pat dry the car after, If you have a little more time and want to give a decent wash then snow foam the car, rinse then use a 2 bucket method with a wash mitt (Never wash your car with a sponge) then pat dry the car with a drying towel.

Doctle Odd
06-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Last time I asked one of mine to do anything he told me he was Tiger Woods. (he's not really Tiger Woods he plays the xbox) Lazy 22 years old git. Has anyone seen the ads on TV where you spray stuff onto the dirt and then sponge it off? Seems a bad idea to me...
I wouldn't let my kids within a thousand miles of my car with any type of cleaning implement, I've seen what they do, "Oops, dropped it, never mind!" Straight back onto the paintwork! :bigeyes:

Sam
06-11-2012, 01:05 PM

3 months...pfft amateur.

Guest 2
06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
3 months...pfft amateur.

Thats both of them done until at least March now! :D

Eshrules
06-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Detailing and car care to that degree is still very niche - the ability to keep your paint in perfect condition assumes it's not a daily driver and that you have time to spend hours at a time cleaning the car.

I enjoy cleaning mine when I get the chance and I'll do it to the best of my ability, but the paint will never be perfect - such is the downside of living in the UK. Anybody who manages to keep a daily runner's paint perfect isn't using it as a daily runner.

Personally, I think there are far more serious things to worry about such as winter tyres, steamy windows and what colour your exhaust smoke is.

Sam
06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Thats both of them done until at least March now! :D

I last washed mine before a UKPassats meet in August 2010 (it might have been 2009, not sure)

Guest 2
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
I last washed mine before a UKPassats meet in August 2010 (it might have been 2009, not sure)

Poor Passat!

Do you even have a VW these days? :biglaugh:

Sam
06-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Poor Passat!

Do you even have a VW these days? :biglaugh:

I think so, but to be sure I'd have to wash off the dirt ;)

Hex69
06-11-2012, 01:57 PM
I think so, but to be sure I'd have to wash off the dirt ;)

This yours then?? ;)

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4101/4885912667_25502f6d4a_b.jpg