PDA

View Full Version : RNS 315 navigation volume

davemetcalfe
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi all

Currently waiting for a 2.0 Highline estate due in Jan. To try and make the time go a bit quicker I've been reading up on the various functions etc (I'm a bit sad like that I'm afraid!). One thing that slightly concerns me is the navigation system (RNS 315).

Reading around suggests that the audio source doesn't automatically mute/reduce when you get a navigation command. Instead you have to set the volume level for the radio and the nav separately. Is this correct? I guess it would be fine if the radio was on quite quietly, but if you've got the volume turned up a bit, you would rather it reduced during a nav command rather than having to turn the nav volume up even higher to compete. I hope that made sense!

Anyone care to comment?

Cheers

Dave

D4D
03-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi, I think it lowers the volume on the radio to say the direction and then raises it back to where it was. You can still hear the radio quietly in the back ground.

I say think because I don't really use it, if you check back on my posts you will see I have a really low opinion of VW's satnav and VW's attitude to the satnav after you've spent £24,000.00 on one of their cars. They have no upgrade path other than spend another £750.00 on the latest and greatest version of the RNS315, or spend £1,670.00 on the RNS510, then when the updates come out you only have to spend another £200.00 for the DVD. Are you picking up the theme here ?

I opted to spend £13.99 (now £59.99) on Navigon British Isles, £3.00 for postcode search, and £7.00 for Traffic updates (for life), for my iPhone. Software is leagues ahead of the VW offering, And I have had about four FREE updates since I installed it.

In saying that though the connectivity of the RNS315 is impressive, nice big screen for seeing your playlists.

Just my opinion, I'm sure there are others who love it, and I'm pretty sure that the new version (which you will have) is an improvement over the 2011 model (which I have).

To be honest.... it wouldn't be difficult.

davemetcalfe
03-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Sounds good that you think the volume lowers during a nav command, not so good that you think the system as a whole is poor! Fingers crossed the latest version is a bit better.

Thanks again.

sj_4x4
07-11-2012, 02:58 PM
The 315 will get you to your destination, eventually, it rarely plots a good route. The volume is adjustable for both radio and nav so you can fine tune, I tend to have mine mute as it's far too verbose, to the extent it will often talk over it's self as you've got to the next instruction point before it's finished telling you about the previous one.

Traffic updates are poor, tho that is more the fault of HeartFM who provide the data, DAB works well, however some times on power up I get no audio until I change the display to radio, phone integration is good as is iPod and audio quality, nothing that can't be fixed by a software update, second service is being done on Monday so I'll see what VW say.

davemetcalfe
08-11-2012, 10:10 AM
The 315 will get you to your destination, eventually, it rarely plots a good route. .

Thats a bit worrying! Does yours do 7 digit postcodes?

Good luck with trying to get an update.

sj_4x4
08-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Thats a bit worrying! Does yours do 7 digit postcodes?

Good luck with trying to get an update.

Yes, yes is does.

Pixiedemon
10-11-2012, 01:25 AM
The 315 will get you to your destination, eventually, it rarely plots a good route.

Traffic updates are poor ...

I agree that the RNS315 routing is too often idiosyncratic: a few examples. Travelling north on the M5 near Bristol, the unit will take you down a slip road and then back up to continue on the motorway (clearly any sensible routing would keep you on the motorway). Travelling in the countryside, although set to fastest route the unit too often takes the car down narrow single track roads that are just not practical even as rat runs. I've seen the unit choose routes that double back on yourself (and without the excuse of a one way system). I don't have 7 digit postcode navigation (I missed out by only weeks it seems), so you can find yiurself trying to enter a street that the unit says doesn't exist. Drive to the street, and the street then pops up on the map (with its name). tell me how that works? it's so annoying that 9 times out f 10, you have to choose your european country.

On traffic incidents it seems to be only the bad ones t hat come up - nothing like the tomtom iq options to help with normal congestion.

On the good side, the unit always knows where the car is - none of the long search for satellites that you get with a tomtom that's been switched off a while. This, and the integration in the car are the only 2 features that outlass a tomtom and it's certainly not worth the money charged for the unit. (mine was part of the spec for the model I ordered, not an optional extra)

sj_4x4
13-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Booked in on Thursday for a software update......

davemetcalfe
14-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I agree that the RNS315 routing is too often idiosyncratic

A navigation system that isn't good at navigating - great! Glad I'm not paying extra for it either if thats the case.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

65VW
14-11-2012, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=sj_4x4;761152]Booked in on Thursday for a software update......

Would be interested if any difference after the software update and dealer cost; My early 2012 170 estate is due first service shortly and was considering doing the same update to the RNS 315.

davemetcalfe
22-11-2012, 11:25 AM

Any luck with your update?

sj_4x4
23-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Any luck with your update?

They think I have a faulty unit and they are going to replace it on Thursday, I am not holding my breath.

Firkle
26-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Does anybody know the part number or version number of the latest level of software and also the map database. Even VW customer care seem to be a little confused when asked this question.

Thanks

davemetcalfe
30-11-2012, 10:49 AM
They think I have a faulty unit and they are going to replace it on Thursday, I am not holding my breath.

Did you get your replacement? If so is it any better? I hope it is!

Tahnos09
03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi wanna know about RNA 510 if u saved areas names would rns510 gives you street name list by pressing any latter
thanks .

Tahnos09
03-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Hi wanna know about RNA 510 if u saved areas names would rns510 gives you street name list by pressing any latter
thanks .

sj_4x4
04-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Did you get your replacement? If so is it any better? I hope it is!

Yes I did, and no it isn't.

It still has the issue where sometimes there is no audio when you start up after it has synced the phone book (have to switch from Nav to Radio and back to Nav to wake it up)

The Nav voice guidance is still so verbose she ends up talking over herself at slightly complicated junctions, this really winds me up.

The routing still gives far too much priority for dual carriageways, for example it planned a route that was 2 miles longer then needed as it involved a 1 mile section of dual carriageway, this was on a 5 mile journey all on A-roads, and if you deviate from the route, it spends far too long trying to get you back on the original route before it re-calculates.

On B roads it plans some very strange routes in urban areas, I've been comparing it to a TomTom and Sygic to eliminate my own sense of direction, I can not apply any logic to some of the routes the RNS315 plots, all three were set to fastest route.

The traffic reports are still terrible, tho this is more down to HeartFM I expect, I used "dynamic routing" once, that was quite a adventure and not something I'll repeat.

If I had paid for it as a cost option rather then it being bundled with the car, I would be demanding my money back, no point having a integrated system when you have to use external devices for Nav and traffic updates.

In short, it will get you where you want to go, eventually.