PDA

View Full Version : new a3 sportback or a4 decision?

TerryF82
30-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi All - brand new member here and would like to get your advice on my dilemma.....

Ive currently got an a5 coupe 2.0tdi sline special edition in ibis white (19" wheels, park assist, B&O speakers etc) from 2 1/2 years ago as a company lease car. (Paying £450 per month)

The bit i need help with is what to get as my next car as im putting my order in now to arrive in march 2013 and ive narrowed it down to 3 models.

What Im trying to achieve is saving a bit of money but get something big enough for golf clubs, sports bags and pushchair etc as we hope to start a family soon (i know i know....)

1) a4 s line 2.0tdi in daytona grey £355 per month
2) a4 sline 2.0tdi black edition in daytona grey £375 / mth. (19" wheels, parking sensors front and rear, DAB radio, black trim etc)
3) a3 5 door new 2.0tdi sportback sline in daytona grey £260 per month

The only bit of the exterior styling of the a3 sportback i dont like seem to be the roof rails from the brochure (Im not sure if you can get it without these as an option?). Also I have read some negative comments about the interior of the a3.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you might have. Specifically if you think the a3 is big enough in the boot etc for what i need compared to the a4, and if the a4 is worth £100+ / month more?

Hope this is the right part of the forum for this
Thanks

tlionhart
11-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Hi Terry!
I too own an A5 coupe black edition. After just recently going out in the new A3 I have to say its very impressive. I am certainly interested in buying one of these due to the update to the interior, in my opinion its probably better than the A5 for now. (Until the next gen A4/A5 comes out) you can certainly get all the kit in the car for less of the price than a new A5. The new interior isn't too bad at all. I have owned previous versions of the A3. It has been out dated until now. A lot of technology is available in this car. More a less the same kit you can get on an A6, A7, etc! The A4 doesn't offer this for now. The only negative reviews I'm personally aware of, are those of the pre-2012 new generation model. For instance the handbrake always connected with the arm rest. Whereas in the new A3, like your A5 its electronic. The sat nav on the previous model was naff. (Couldn't enter 7 digits! And Audi charged £1500 for it!)
If your looking to save money the A3 would certainly be the right direction for you. Like you, my hobby is fishing so I have a lot of kit. It fits in the A5 no problem, although it does require a game of 'Tetris' to let it fit. Whereas on my previous A3 I had my gear in the car in no time. Although I owned a hatchback and not the sportback.
As for the roof rails, I don't think it actually comes with them and the pictures are just for guidance. Given that this car is popular with families and sports fanatics. (Like skiers, bikers, etc!) look at the A4 Avant and you'll see a very similar marketing there. You can pay to have either black or aluminium roof bars. Don't quote me to this, but do check with the dealers. :)
If you went for the A4 you'll still get the feel of the A5 in there. It's only when you get out of the car and look back, its not an A5. Then on the other hand, the A3 is something completely different. The A5 is truly an awesome car, but on the other hand your saving lots of money in tax, insurance, running costs with the A3, compromised with some good kit inside. :)

rickerby
13-04-2013, 11:29 PM
The A4 is now a pretty old model. In fact the replacement is due late next year I think. If you dont need the extra space you would be better off with the A3, particularly if its over £100 a month less to finance. As for the interior issue, every road test I have read has raved about the new A3 interior. It only seems to be people with a fetish for nobs and buttons that struggle with its minimalist layout.