PDA

View Full Version : RIP To the Manual Gearbox?

theskyfox
30-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi Guys,
Was having a browse of the Audi site last night. Couldn't help but notice they don't seem to offer the 3.0TDi A4 in Manual Gearbox anymore. Is this going to be a new trend of theirs? I realise that some of the high end manufacturers (Ferrari etc) have stopped offering them. Would make my car more of a "rarity" if its the case...

-Andrew

Guest 2
30-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Just checked and you're right!

IMO the V6's are more suited to the auto anyway.

I once drove a 3.0 TDi manual and didn't really enjoy it - the gear ratios were all wrong in my mind.

theskyfox
30-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Mines manual, but theres something about dropping a gear and feeling the pull of the car...and hearing the growl of the engine as you just get near red-line. On the downside, you get punished more when you're in the wrong gear and experience more turbo-lag. Had a 3.0TDi auto for a few days and it was superb, but you do get the feeling the car is running away from you at times.

-Andrew

dts439
30-10-2012, 05:02 PM
I was converted to auto by my B7. I tried a manual 3.0tdi but the first gear was far too low so you were always revving it to high and exposing the harshness of the diesel engine. Friend had an Auto 3.0 and it was like chalk and cheese. Gearbox totally transformed the driving experience, keeping the engine in the low torquey smooth rpm range and I was converted. I still enjoy a manual in a petrol engine, especially high revving normally aspirated engines, but they may not be around for much longer. I think Porsche is saying the 7 speed manual in the new 911 will be the last design.