PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK7 - Anyone "SEEN" the standard SAT NAV yet !!

JDB007
29-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I have searched almost everywhere across the web (Europe - USA) etc. including German web sites for a picture of the Discover Navigation touch-screen navigation/radio system as stated within the current pricelist.
Every picture I have seen to date from hundreds I have trawled through shows the PRO system installed which is an additional cost (Option) of £1650.00 :zx11: Are VW afraid of showing us the standard unit fitted to the GT version or is it me totally misunderstanding what I am reading

Anyone help ( ...again) :1zhelp:

Thanks all

J400uk
29-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Yes, this is it here:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x267/J400uk/mortier-img_1363-img.jpg

For anyone interested here are pictures of all the head units offered on the MK7 (although only Composition Media and upwards are applicable to the UK)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x267/J400uk/4fa079323812.jpg

JDB007
30-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi J400uk

At last some visual identification and it solves the problem of possibly forking out £1650 for the DISCOVER PRO model.
The DISCOVER MEDIA which is the standard for the GT model looks fine and is almost the same size as fitted to my Vectra Elite.
The local VW dealer suggests that the new MK7 will be available to view sometime in December.

Thanks for a spot on reply

JDB007

Trentend
20-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Good news if in showrooms in December. My local rep thought late January 2013.

JDB007
26-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Apart from the responses from J400UK and others ( ... thanks) take a look at the MK 7 brochure from VW Germany at the following
website (you'll need to brush up on your German) ....

https://volkswagen.de/de/dialog_center/infomaterial_anfordern/produktbroschueren.htx
Their brochure is far better detailed than the pre-launch UK version and shows the new sat nav stuff very clearly :drive:
The launch date here in the UK seems to be kept very quite (JANUARY ??) and I noticed thet the UK brochure has an additional Service and
Warranty offer which runs out in December !!!! - Mmmmm that's not a good start.

Enjoy.

JDB007

J400uk
26-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah VW UK basically don't know what they are selling! I've been surprised how much misinformation there has been around the MK7 launch. Hopefully all will become clear over the next couple of months...

DR_A6
28-11-2012, 11:09 PM
gutted that the 4motion doesnt look to be coming over here.

glospete
29-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi J400uk

At last some visual identification and it solves the problem of possibly forking out £1650 for the DISCOVER PRO model.
The DISCOVER MEDIA which is the standard for the GT model looks fine and is almost the same size as fitted to my Vectra Elite.
The local VW dealer suggests that the new MK7 will be available to view sometime in December.

Thanks for a spot on reply

JDB007

VW UK screwed up on their pricing of the Discover Pro. The Discover Navigation is standard on the GT and not on the SE - it costs £735 on that. But the cost of the Discover Pro for the SE is £1690 and for the GT was £1650 which didn't make sense - VW has now dropped the Discover Pro upgrade on the GT to £1100 - still a lot of money but it has some logic to the SE pricing!

arkay
29-11-2012, 04:48 PM
I agree with atjmoore that it is a great pity the 4motion seems not to be coming here. I note from the German brochure that the 4motion is available with both 105PS and 150PS diesels. How lucky are these Germans!?

whitehall74
07-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Anyone know if the graphics are the same on both, don't mean the resolution but the way all the menus etc look?

JDB007
07-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Now you are asking a question! The details for the Golf MK7 seem to be non-existant :dunno: and VW (UK) seem to be just dragging their feet in announcing anything at all.
Anyway to get back to your question (and I'm going to make an educated guess here) that the graphics should be much the same on either the 5.8" or 8.0" screens. BUT there
may be other drop down menu's on the 8.0" version as it has more disk space etc.
Keep in touch

JDB007

microwork
08-12-2012, 09:02 PM
I was sitting in the new mk7 golf se today - there is one ay my local VW garage. The "black strip" in the screen was solid and I couldnt see anywhere for a CD - im assuming its in the glove compartment as suggested.
The garage told me they will have the GT instore ready for a test drive Christmas week!!

J400uk
08-12-2012, 09:13 PM
I was sitting in the new mk7 golf se today - there is one ay my local VW garage. The "black strip" in the screen was solid and I couldnt see anywhere for a CD - im assuming its in the glove compartment as suggested.
The garage told me they will have the GT instore ready for a test drive Christmas week!!

Ah yes it should be in the glovebox, see below:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x267/J400uk/c894a937582f.jpg

This created quite a debate on one of the other topics!

JDB007
09-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi microwork

Hey that's not fair I/ve been waiting for weeks :aargh4: so where IS your local dealer ??

Cheers

JDB007

microwork
09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Local dealer is in Derry N Ireland. Donnelly & Taggert

I got a message from another dealer 2 weeks ago inviting me for a sneak preview - got the email too late though.

cs2009
18-12-2012, 04:56 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/styles/GamerRed/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by microwork http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/styles/GamerRed/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=767616#post767616)

Ah yes it should be in the glovebox, see below:
This created quite a debate on one of the other topics!

Just had an email from VW UK, and they confirm that the CD player is indeed in the glovebox and not in the dash as it says in the pricelist (or as they said twice previously). This is an idiotic design feature - it effectively means the CD player is all but useless, since you can't safely change discs whilst on the move. There is no option for a multi-changer either, apparently (which would be fine in the glovebox). Presumably, this is so they can use the same piece of junk that is fitted to the new A3.

Very, very disappointed.
I'm certainly not about to spend hours ripping all my CDs onto SD cards. Life's too short.

I'm now starting to consider the new Polo Blue GT, which gets the same engine as the Golf GT, but which has a 'proper' CD player (or multi-changer), and a conventional handbrake too.

whitehall74
19-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Probably because in a few years time the CD player will have gone the same way as the tape player.

Agree it's a shame though and a crazy design feature.

Thanks for finding it out though

vc-10
20-12-2012, 01:33 AM
I can't remember the last time I actually played a CD. Everything is on my phone and laptop. I could copy everything onto a large SD card and just leave that in the slot. Well... most of it, anyway!

cs2009
20-12-2012, 02:09 PM
There is a popular myth that CDs are dead, but that is largely due to the prevalence of illegal downloads and file sharing. The sale of music actually purchased is still dominated by CDs, which have around 70% market share.

vc-10
20-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Yes, CDs are still a popular format for buying music, but most people rip their CDs onto their computers for listening on the go. How many people still use portable CD players? Even my thechnophobic parents have iPods.

J400uk
21-12-2012, 07:09 PM
I am delighted its in the glovebox, its a waste of space having it on the dashboard. Hopefully when the MK8 comes out whey will do away with having a CD player completely. They are old and rarely used any-more as the SD-reader, USB and Bluetooth A2DP leave it redundant. Even if you are still buying CDs it just needs to be ripped and copied over.

cs2009
21-12-2012, 07:46 PM
I am delighted its in the glovebox, its a waste of space having it on the dashboard. Hopefully when the MK8 comes out whey will do away with having a CD player completely. They are old and rarely used any-more as the SD-reader, USB and Bluetooth A2DP leave it redundant. Even if you are still buying CDs it just needs to be ripped and copied over.

Well it's true that portable CD players are rarely used today, but then they were rarely used to begin with ! Domestic CD players are still hugely popular however, and indeed all the main manufacturers continue to release new models, so your assertion is just plain wrong. And how is a narrow slit a waste of space ?

Ripping the occasional newly purchased CD is OK, but there is no way I am going to rip the several hundred CDs in my collection. I've got better things to do.

I won't be buying a new Golf.

Evil Dan
21-12-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm curious to know how anyone can safely change a CD while the car is in motion. How often would one need to change a CD anyway, and would they not have access to the glove compartment when the vehicle is stopped?

cs2009
22-12-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm curious to know how anyone can safely change a CD while the car is in motion. How often would one need to change a CD anyway, and would they not have access to the glove compartment when the vehicle is stopped?

That was my main point - you can't safely change discs if the unit is in the glovebox. You can with a dash mounted player, if you already have the discs to hand, but it isn't ideal. The best option is to have a dash mounted multi-changer, exactly as I have in my Mk.6 Golf (RCD-510), but a multi-changer in the glovebox would also be fine, since it is remotely operable. But VW in their wisdom, have removed all of these options.

It does appear that VAG are using the same unit in the new Golf, A3, Leon and Octavia, but with minor cosmetic differences. It's a way to save money I guess - use the same cheap crap in all models.