PDA

View Full Version : Central locking problem

tonyglasgow
28-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Just bought a 1999 passat, when I got it home I discovered the central locking was not working with the fob but works with key, also found that the interior light not working or electric mirrors not working too. I've put new batteries in my fob, can anyone help to suggest what might be wrong?
thank you

OddBallBoy
28-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Here's assuming you've already checked relevant fuses...

There's quite a few threads on here about central locking problems and the first thing they all seem to say is to diconnect the battery for a good 10 minutes as this resets the system. Make sure you have your radio code if the standard radio before you do this though.

A first job you should do as well is to take the battery out (take the cover off the cabin air filter housing to do so) then take the battery tray out and make sure the large drain holes are clear. I've just done this today and it's a really easy, 20 minute job, only need a 10mm spanner and 13mm socket and wrench.

The problem if those drain holes are full of gunk (as they are very likely to be) is that water than gets into the cabin through the bulkhead and runs down under the carpet to where the cabin ecu is under the passenger seat - and this cabin ecu controls all things like central locking, interior lights, electric mirrors etc. The carpets will not necessarily feel wet, it all wicks through the sound deadening beneath the carpet. Water down there corrodes the wires into the ecu and the damages the ecu itself if it gets wet enough. Only way to check for sure is to left the carpet.

One more thing on the electric mirrors is that the wires running through into the door can get brittle and break.

Good luck.

mwservices
28-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi Also check node points in the wiring loom on the ns by the ecu as these corrode

Frameboy
31-10-2012, 11:21 PM
I've just managed to get my remote working, but it was a simple recoding fix.

However, and I've had this with my old BMW as well, if a few little things go at the same time perhaps it's worth checking your fuses? There's a comfort module that does windows and sunroof etc, so it's possible that another does lights, mirrors? Always worth a look. Seems like the fuse layouts differ from car to car based on your option extras!

Good luck.