PDA

View Full Version : What A Stupid Design!

gregpot2000
25-10-2012, 01:00 PM
So I popped out of work during my lunch break to get a few things, hands full, so I pressed the middle button on the key to release and open the boot, put everything down (including my keys!), shut the boot without thinking and then....

You guessed it, lights flashed, and I realised I was now locked out of my car! luckily I was only about a mile from where I keep my spare, but this could have been disastrous if I had been away somewhere!

Seems to be like this on most VAG cars from reading on the net, but why does the boot re-lock when closing like that?

I was lucky, but this is a warning to others that didn't know!

zollaf
25-10-2012, 01:13 PM
without thinking, there is your answer, you did it without thinking. had you stepped out into a road without thinking, you could have been squished, so really, locking your keys in the boot let you off quite lightly. its just vags way of making you stay alert. learn from your car and will you do it again ? no, you probably won't.

troc
25-10-2012, 03:37 PM
That's odd. If I put my key (the key used to open/unlock the boot) in the boot and close it, the lid refuses to shut and just bounces open again........

It will happily shut on the key which was not used to open it though.

a8 tech
25-10-2012, 03:40 PM
mmi settings all door opening set no more problem

if you open the car without putting the key in the ignition it will lock after 60 seconds, this prevents you from leaving the car unlocked

also make sure the key barrel in the boot is not in the dead lock position or read your fing handbook

Phutters
25-10-2012, 03:56 PM
without thinking, there is your answer, you did it without thinking. had you stepped out into a road without thinking, you could have been squished, so really, locking your keys in the boot let you off quite lightly.You're 'ard as nails, you are. Just the kind of bloke I'd want at my shoulder if a battalion of Tigers clattered out of the mist followed by a platoon of the meanest and most battle-hardened Wehrmacht you'd ever seen.

On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't come to you for sympathy and a spitty hanky if I'd scraped my knee playing footy or trodden on the head of a rake, that's for sure.

its just vags way of making you stay alert. learn from your car...You're on this forum far too much... ;)

gregpot2000
25-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Im not sure it was clear what i meant. I was approaching the car, pressed the boot unlock button, the boot pops open, but it doesn't unlock the rest of the car. But then as soon as the boot shuts it locks itself straight away. Meaning if the keys are in there you are basically knackered. And also about reading the manual, there is no locking barrel on the boot, just a button, so i suggest you give it a read!

Looking around on the net as well, seems more common than you may think:

Keys stuck in locked book - Advice needed - AudiForums.com (http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/keys-stuck-locked-book-advice-needed-154651/)
DO NOT lock your keys in the boot - A5_OC (http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/20130-do-not-lock-your.html)
Google (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=+site:audi-sport.net+keys+locked+in+boot+audi&sa=X&ei=jlSJUI-hNYfC0AHL6oHAAQ&ved=0CFMQrQIwAw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=9cc6ce1e3edfb4fe&bpcl=35466521&biw=1290&bih=628)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

c.grex
25-10-2012, 08:08 PM
That's odd. If I put my key (the key used to open/unlock the boot) in the boot and close it, the lid refuses to shut and just bounces open again........

It will happily shut on the key which was not used to open it though.

advanced key for you! Won't let you lock the key in the car

legendamongus
25-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Of course the boot release button doesn't unlock the rest of the car. The unlock button does that. The entire point is so that you can quickly put stuff in the boot without having to unlock and relock the car.

I hardly think that this is a huge design flaw...

theskyfox
26-10-2012, 12:29 PM
lol. Was the same on my 2004 A4..and both my parents VW Golfs. I wouldn't say its a design flaw...if you are that paranoid, just use the bottom key button to unlock the whole car instead and pretend the middle button doesn't exist. Have found it very useful when at things like bootsales...means you can keep your stuff in the boot nice and open whilst the rest of the car is locked.

-Andrew

a8 tech
26-10-2012, 01:58 PM
:biglaugh:

derekm
29-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Happened to me once and had to get a lift home to get spare key. The good thing is now you wont do it again lol