PDA

View Full Version : HI from a convert

exsuziguy
14-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi to averybody, just found the forum to-night and have got to say I am very impressed with what I have seen so far. I have been a VW owner for a week and a half now and have got to say I am impressed with the old bus. It is a '98 Passat 1.8 sport in silver and had 98,300 miles on clock when I got her. I just wanted a second car for my work as the wife has a '56 plate Grande Punto. I traded my bike for it (Suzuki GSX 750f) as I felt it was too much hassle getting kitted up for 5 mile journey to work and same home again. On top of this the climate where I live is not at all bike friendly (last British outpost before Iceland) Let's see if anyone can guess where that is!. Sorry for rabbiting on so I'll go and browse around. :newbie:

Ben
15-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Shetland or one of the scottish islands such as skye? Welcome to the forum.

exsuziguy
15-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome to the forum GOLFMK5 and you're spot on with Shetland. It's amazing how many people don't know where Shetland is! (not a local myself, came up to work for 3 months and been here 27 yrs barring a couple of stints in London) :(

Corsadad
15-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi exsuziguy

I also am just joining the "VW gang" having been mainly Vauxhall most of my days.

Just a shame you have to give up on the bike. I am fortunate that I also have a BMW K1200GT in the garage (for the 4 wheel tin box brigade the K1200GT isn't a 3 or 5 series but a 2 wheeled bit of kit that is soooo much more fun). The bike is purely for pleasure as I can't carry much in the way of tools/materials on it. :D

Hope you enjoy the VW but, more importantly, hope you manage to get back on 2 wheels in the future - you know it makes sense.

exsuziguy
15-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Corsadad, of course you're right the bike is far more fun than 4 wheels, but I just felt it was becoming a chore and I was never getting out for just pleasure. On top of this I had promised myself a Hayabusa, and had in fact been offered one by a guy who worked in same place as me. Unfortunately he was killed on it 2 weeks later (2nd fatality in 3 weeks) in our isles and I knew both of them. Wife was glad to see me back in 4 wheeled box, but like you say never say never. If I do go back to bikes it will be purely pleasure and not commuting all year round. That's a nice bike you've got by the way, enjoy it!!
:beerchug:

Corsadad
15-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Always sad news when things like that happen. Have lost a few friends along the way, some on bikes but many others through other circumstances. Understand the wife's feelings right enough. First on bikes in 1975 but found courting easier in the car. Back to bikes in 86 but with 3 young kids 2 cars were more practical than a car and a bike it was back to the metal box. In 2001 the wife said yes so I was back on 2 wheels. This time purely for pleasure. There are advantages to getting older (never say mature)as you spend the kids inheritance and pay a pittance for car/bike insurance.

Don't throw out your leathers - but hope that they will stretch as you will probably have done when you get the chance to join the born again clan;)

exsuziguy
15-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Like you I've been a born again already, brand new Superdream Aug '79 wrote it off 5 months later (truck decided to do a pallet delivery in middle of the road), replaced it with KH250 then sold to work in Shetland, then wife , 2 kids and no money for playthings so it was cars and vans till 11 or 12 years ago when spare cash was more common so got back into the joys again. What will I be next time around? reborn again or reincarnated, beggared if I know but I'm sure it'll still hold the same appeal as it always has. Maybe summers will improve by then!!
:rolleyes:

Corsadad
15-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Weather hasn't been much fun this year. Maybe it's an age thing but the heated seats on the bike really are the dogs. Reckon earlier incarnations would have laughed or scorned at the prospect - heated seats, heated grips, cruise control "on a bike - never". :biglaugh: Next model up has remote central locking, electric stand - wherever next?

RickT
15-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

RickT

exsuziguy
16-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks Rick T for the welcome, seems like a brilliant resource and full of useful info.
:approve: