PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Helicoil oil drain pan thread help needed!

battmiceter
22-10-2012, 08:15 PM
The thread on my oil drain pan has had it!

I am going to helicoil it.

Do i have to take the oil drain pan off to avoid any shavings entering the engine?

If so will a need a replacement gasket for the drain pan when it goes back on?

Is this a straight foreward job or does anyone know if there are any

un-suspecting things that may happen once i get started.

Thanks.

Doctle Odd
22-10-2012, 08:25 PM
A guy that works in a VW main dealers told me they never take out the bung any more, they use a vacuum pump, I think you'd need to remove the sump and they are sealed on - no gasket

fat controller
22-10-2012, 08:39 PM
A guy that works in a VW main dealers told me they never take out the bung any more, they use a vacuum pump, I think you'd need to remove the sump and they are sealed on - no gasket

I thought pela pumps worked by a tube shoved down the dipstick pipe, which my car doesn't have - does that mean that my car would still need the sump plug removed?

Doctle Odd
22-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't know mate I have a 5.5 I heard this during some sustained heavy drinking

zollaf
22-10-2012, 08:44 PM
i think you do have a dipstick tube, just not fitted with a dipstick, but you can buy one from vag for it.
can a b8 owner confirm this or ridicule me ?

Guest 2
22-10-2012, 08:45 PM
i think you do have a dipstick tube, just not fitted with a dipstick, but you can buy one from vag for it.

I've heard and seen that too - I'll do a quick search but from memory its easy to add.

battmiceter
22-10-2012, 08:52 PM
gutted, i hope its not sealed on, so much trouble over something so small!

has anyone had this problem themselves?

Guest 2
22-10-2012, 08:52 PM

a quick search reveals the hole is covered with a bung and part numbers are here too

Adding oil dipstick to Audi A4 B8/A5/Q5 (by LoCal) - Audi A6 Q7 A8 A4 A5 Retrofit Jälkiasennus Nachrüsten Retro-fit (http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/articles/a4a5oildipstick.html)

that was a quick search so you may find a how to somewhere.

Dieseldoos
28-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Ive ordered the dipstick from my local dealer, should be here in a few days.

Seems that more and more garages are now doing oil changes by pumping the old oil out via the dipstick tube.

zollaf
28-10-2012, 10:27 PM
its sooo much quicker and easier, plus you can suck the oil out of the cooler below the filter, whilst the filter is out, and thats another half litre or so that otherwise remains in the system.
no messing with undertrays or sump plugs and you can do it in a few minutes as long as the oil is nice and hot. i use a sealey sucker thats cost about £20, handy for emptying fishtanks as well as brake fluid resevoirs.

Doctle Odd
28-10-2012, 11:17 PM
I might get the wife one....
its sooo much quicker and easier, plus you can suck the oil out of the cooler below the filter, whilst the filter is out, and thats another half litre or so that otherwise remains in the system.
no messing with undertrays or sump plugs and you can do it in a few minutes as long as the oil is nice and hot. i use a sealey sucker thats cost about £20, handy for emptying fishtanks as well as brake fluid resevoirs.

zollaf
28-10-2012, 11:19 PM
maybe you won't, i have just noticed a typo, it was more like £60, not 20. sorry.

Doctle Odd
28-10-2012, 11:22 PM
They're 99 yoyos mate so £60.00 seems about right, I just want her to see the technique....