PDA

View Full Version : Question What happens if i dont use VW 507 spec oil on my 2.0 tdi?

battmiceter
21-10-2012, 08:52 PM
my 2.0 tdi requires 5W-30 fully synthetic VW 507 spec oil.

what would happen if i just used a cheaper oil that was not VW 507

but was still 5W-30 fully synthetic.

Thanks

Brycie
21-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I can't offer any mechanical advice here, only a concerned forum member's opinion :D. However in a car worth xx thousands of pounds, I wouldn't be putting anything in that engine that the engine wasn't specifically designed for. It just doesn't bear thinking about - damaging piston rings (or whatever) & ruining a perfectly good engine just to save £5 a month on engine oil.

battmiceter
21-10-2012, 09:29 PM
it was just a thaught, to flush out as much crap as possible before putting the good stuff in,

i dont want to use engine flush because it damages seals etc but cant afford to be using 5l of catrol edge simply as a flush,

the reason i want to do this is because my car has done 90k,

i changed the oil and the new oil is already black, i want it to be as clear as possible.

adamss24
21-10-2012, 09:32 PM
That's the nature of diesel engine, the fresh oil won't stay clear but don't despair and just use the good quality oil, the engine will be just fine !

theskyfox
22-10-2012, 12:53 PM
i changed the oil and the new oil is already black, i want it to be as clear as possible

You're fighting a losing battle there. Diesel engines in particular turn their oil a dirty black very quickly. As far as I know the only engines which don't turn their oil black are LPG. All sorts of rubbish including soot and diesel fuel make it into that oil to reduce emissions and keep your engine running. Don't waste your time or money, stick with the manufacturers recommended oil and change it once a year (or sooner if you are doing very high milage). Any real damaging rubbish will be picked up by your oil filter. I had this argument last year with Audi..they don't change your oil until 2 years or 20,000 miles. Far too high in my opinion..and I had them change it after 12 months.

-Andrew

zollaf
22-10-2012, 01:17 PM
you can get it clear. change oil and filter, then run for 10 miles or so until the new oil is properly black, then change the oil and filter again and drive for 10 miles until its black. now when you change the oil again, it should remain clear for at least 50 miles, until it turns black again. whether you change it again is up to you.

theskyfox
22-10-2012, 02:30 PM
you can get it clear. change oil and filter, then run for 10 miles or so until the new oil is properly black, then change the oil and filter again and drive for 10 miles until its black. now when you change the oil again, it should remain clear for at least 50 miles, until it turns black again. whether you change it again is up to you.

are you on crack? I've got a bucket of coal in my living room...perhaps you could paint it white for me? lol :biggthump

zollaf
22-10-2012, 02:40 PM
yes mate, its the same stuff i got off you, very very nice :)