PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded wiper issue

Dozz
14-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Well it looks like the spindle Assembly's have seized bad. Tried to press the spindle out but it's so tight we ended up making a right pigs ear of it. Luckily europatrs list a spare assembly complete. Should be here tomorrow.Anybody else had this problem? apparently it's very common

Matt1e
18-08-2007, 10:49 PM
:nervous:
Did it start with a squeak ?

As I have a little squeak at the moment !

Dozz
18-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Afraid so. Wipers were also very jumpy

dibly
12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Well it looks like the spindle Assembly's have seized bad. Tried to press the spindle out but it's so tight we ended up making a right pigs ear of it. Luckily europatrs list a spare assembly complete. Should be here tomorrow.Anybody else had this problem? apparently it's very common
yes i have had this problem--also had to replace the linkage assy- takes about an hour to change the unit-not to bad to do, take out the tray between engine and wiper assy-the linkage is supposed to be lubricated regulaly or at least at service- i also tried to press out the spindles to no avail-i have never had any trouble ever in my life with wipers like this ,they must have very tight tolorences but i cant think why

mscomms
22-09-2008, 11:30 AM
I was suffering from the same problem but managed to fix it.
This is how I did it, Use this method at your own risk and be careful of the moving parts whilst the wiper motor is running.
Remove wiper arms
Remove scuttle cover
Run wipers, you can see which wiper post is siezed by looking to see if the wiper shaft bush is flexing on the end of the rack.
Stop Wipers.
Prise retaining c clip off wiper shaft and remove washer.
replace wiper retaning nut loosly on shaft leaving plenty of thread.
Start wipers and spray with lubricating oil (I used WD40)
With the wipers running put a socket on the end of an extention bar on the nut and gently tap the wiper shaft into its bush.
Keep spraying with oil.
with the wipers still running carefully push the wiper shaft back into the bush.
Keep pushing the shaft in and out of the bush and spraying with oil until you can move it by hand.
stop the wipers.
push the shaft all the way home in the bush and replace the washer and C clip.
Reassemble the scuttle cover and replace the wiper arms
Job Done

aerotec
23-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I had to have my wiper assembly replaced a while back so am keen to avoid this ahppening again. I am about to start servicing my car myself so will add this check to the list.

What oil are you to use though. Too light an oil will wash out any grease and may actually make corrosion and seizure worse.

mscomms
25-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I Just used WD40 and it has been fine so far (6 months) but I am keeping and eye on the swept area and will try out a different lubricant if I need to do it again

dibly
25-11-2008, 06:40 PM
well i didn't think of that--have been half stripping the outer linkage to get some oil in--not much room between parts so wd40 is a really good idea-- thanks for that--i will try that this weekend

mscomms
20-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I was suffering from the same problem but managed to fix it.
This is how I did it, Use this method at your own risk and be careful of the moving parts whilst the wiper motor is running.
Remove wiper arms
Remove scuttle cover
Run wipers, you can see which wiper post is siezed by looking to see if the wiper shaft bush is flexing on the end of the rack.
Stop Wipers.
Prise retaining c clip off wiper shaft and remove washer.
replace wiper retaning nut loosly on shaft leaving plenty of thread.
Start wipers and spray with lubricating oil (I used WD40)
With the wipers running put a socket on the end of an extention bar on the nut and gently tap the wiper shaft into its bush.
Keep spraying with oil.
with the wipers still running carefully push the wiper shaft back into the bush.
Keep pushing the shaft in and out of the bush and spraying with oil until you can move it by hand.
stop the wipers.
push the shaft all the way home in the bush and replace the washer and C clip.
Reassemble the scuttle cover and replace the wiper arms
Job Done

I have just had to re-do this so it looks like it works for about a year using WD40, I would have removed the rack dissasmbled the assembly and greased it before reassembly but I didn't have time. The whole process only took me 40 minutes, 40 minutes per year aint too bad

mscomms
20-07-2009, 03:24 PM
if i have to do this again I will probably drill the bushes and fit grease nipples

joe.fancis176
20-07-2009, 10:04 PM
You can remove the unit strip it down completely clean up and rebuild using copper grease. Repaired mine 3 years ago still going well.

noreenjane
21-08-2009, 01:26 PM
mine completely seized up on me in France a couple of years ago and yes it rained everyday. Hubby sorted by removing whole assembly which wasn't easy in itself, then managed to get drivers side apart fairly easily. He cleaned off spindle and re-lubricated using the grease used on bike chains that shouldn't wear off. Passenger side was more challenging as this was totally seized but eventually it came apart...plenty of non repeatable language along the way. He repeated process and put back together....we also changed to pollen filter whilst all this was out...seem to make sense. And fingers crossed no problems in 3 years!!

dibly
21-08-2009, 02:01 PM
good stuff--and yes the passenger side was worse--i have no idea why--but i just changed the linkage

emmbeedee
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Did mine last week & as above the passenger side was worse. Almost completely seized. I had to clamp the crank arm in the vice & work the rest of the assembly back & forth to gradually get the spindle out.
I followed up the suggestion from mscomms above & drilled & tapped the housing each side to fit grease nipples. At least now I can keep them both full of grease.
I noted that the spindles were plated & passivated (that yellow colour) to prevent corrosion, or at least delay the onset of it. Corrosion had got through, though. There is a tiny section "O" ring at the top of the spindle assembly to try & stop water ingress. Evidently these are not completely successful.

Next job, got to get that Airbag lamp to switch off:cussing: