PDA

View Full Version : problems with electric windows help

thrastra
14-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi people this my first time on a forum and i have a question. I have a 94 coupe 2.6 and the elec window started to stop working from time to time.
This is a bit of a pain as it is not good when it starts to rain and they will not go back up. Now they don't work at all, I have had a look for a fuse or a relay ect but can't find anything that is labled, i am working blind as i haven't got any electrical wiring diagrams.
Can any one out there help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnny74
14-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Most likely to be mechanical since you say it's intermittent. The problem I had with mine was that the glass was getting stuck. Try slamming the door fairly hard/banging the inside of the door.

thrastra
14-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi johnny74 thanks for the tip but i am pritty sure it's wiring or a module as i can send the window back up with a external power supply to the motor wires.
cheers thrastra

lizard
15-08-2007, 12:43 PM
i think a lot of electric window problems are just caused by wiring faults. when it stops working try and wiggle the cables between the car and the door? cheapest fix if that is it.
There is a thermal cutout on the relay board under the dash which does windows. i think it's to stop little kids cutting their heads off in the window. (and telling the motors when to stop at the top/bottom of their travel i guess) in my coupe (89) its in the upper row of relays under the dash (the hardest to reach ones) and is a big block like 2 relays stuck together. i reckon it trips out the power feed when the current drain is too high. there are no microswitches in the mechanism so that must be the only way that the power can be switched off at the limits of travel.

best of luck!

scotty33
15-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I've had problems with the passenger window not always going back up, on 2 coupes now. Both were cured by changing switches.

thrastra
20-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys. just found fault today it was a dry joint on the circuit board of the relay for the elec windows ( positioned inside car under fuse box on right hand side ). Just soldered it up and bingo it works.
Again many thanks Thrastra http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

PaulG1966
26-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Hopefully someone can help me! Whilst driving my electric windows stopped working as did my interrior light. When arrived at home I also discovered my central locking wouldn`t lock with the remote and had to lock car manually.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

BHillman
15-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I have the same problem in my 1990 Audi 90 2.3E

I've located the large double relay. You said you had a dry joint, do you mean inside the relay?

Any tips? A new one is £138 +VAT!!!

chrisellard
30-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Hopefully someone can help me! Whilst driving my electric windows stopped working as did my interrior light. When arrived at home I also discovered my central locking wouldn`t lock with the remote and had to lock car manually.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

You have just decribed the exact problem i have with my 2001 1.9tdi

It was intermittent for a while and then all went together. - Did you get it fixed - if so how??

I also seem to have an issue with something draining my batery quite quickly and wonder if this is related. - I'm getting sick and tired of charging my battery every week to avoid the mighty wrath of an Audi *******.

Any ideas people??