PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Differential

jacko1337
19-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi,

I can't find any info on this! I need an LSD for my Passat 01X gearbox and I asked Quaiffe who said they don't make that exact diff but if I got my existing one out they would see if they can get one the same size. Question is, how exactly does one get a diff out??? From my experience if a diff goes the whole gearbox is replaced. I can only see a way by going in the bell housing and removing all the insides to get to the diff at the back. Has anyone any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

zollaf
19-10-2012, 12:04 PM
welcome to the forum. i think you are right, remove the box and strip it down to get the diff out.

martin1810
19-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Gearboxes for the B5 have a large flange plate behind the left hand drive shaft output flange. Removing this allows the differential to be removed from the gearbox, even with the box on the car......in theory.

jacko1337
19-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Gearboxes for the B5 have a large flange plate behind the left hand drive shaft output flange. Removing this allows the differential to be removed from the gearbox, even with the box on the car......in theory.

Ahhhh OK thanks, yes it does look like you can enter it from the output flange. I just found some instructions on a similiar box and it does look like that. Thanks!

jacko1337
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi, sorry to resurrect, finally got time to remove the diff. Although the passenger side output flange is removable its not budging! it comes out about 5mm then stops. Notably when I pull/push the output shaft the driver side also moves the same amount. So it looks like they are connected. I have tried using a mallet to seperate it but no joy! Really annoying me. Spent all day on this.

I removed the gearbox housing but didn't want to pull all the insides apart. Can't believe that you would have to disassemble the gearbox internals just for a diff! I've been following http://www.v12diablo.co.uk/resources/gearbox/type012/39-10%20Differential%20remove%20&%20install.pdf and it says you can do it without taking the back end off but if you look at the diagrams it has circlips that attach to the diff. SO I'm thinking that these circlips are attaching the output's to the diff...

Any ideas??? THanks.

smithy602179
03-03-2013, 11:48 AM
maybe it is similar design as the cv joint connection, as in you need to exert force to get part to ride over circlip obviously you can't get a mallet on it but maybe thats why they mention the slide hammer . only a thought

jacko1337
03-03-2013, 02:25 PM
maybe it is similar design as the cv joint connection, as in you need to exert force to get part to ride over circlip obviously you can't get a mallet on it but maybe thats why they mention the slide hammer . only a thought

Maybe you are correct - I'll have another go today, thanks. I have a slide hammer somewhere so will try that. End of the day I still don't believe you have to completely disassemble the internals just for this and no one has yet said "Yeah you need to strip it" so I'll just use the old 'hit it with a hammer till it complies'.

Fingers crosssed!

jacko1337
03-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Think you are indeed correct - just found this on the same site, explains you have to press off the drive shaft flange:

http://www.v12diablo.co.uk/resources/gearbox/type012/39-1%20Drive%20flange%20seal.pdf