PDA

View Full Version : 1985 100 avant carb to golf gti k-jet conversion???

Retrohowla
18-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Hi guys wonder if anyone can help me out, i have a 1985 audi 100 avant, 1.8, 8v on a carb.
It has cold idling issues (auto chokes given up) and economy isn't great.
I also have a 1985 golf GTI 8v on K-Jet injection that was kindly written off for me by a blind truck driver.
So im thinking, can i put the K-Jet system on the Audi? Im thinking a complete head swap if it will go, to utilise the golfs extra power, i understand there will be some wiring involved for the cold start etc and also try and replicate the golfs fuel delivery system to the engine bay.
Has anyone ever done this and if so is it a straight forward procedure or more hassle than its worth???
Any advice would be gratefully received

scotty33
26-10-2012, 11:37 PM
There's a bit more to it, the fuel pump for the injection runs much higher pressure, so wiring and plumbing to go with that. the fuel pump relay is the rev limiter too, so another reason to get it right. The exhaust may be bigger bore, so may be restrictive as is, or additional cost to rectify. The golf ex manifold may not suit the inline engine layout?
I would think not worth the effort, but you have most of the donor parts, if you are determined enough...?

Retrohowla
28-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I think you're right, not worth the effort, if the rest of the Audi was a higher standard i might do it but you have confirmed it for me, i think i will leave it alone.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Alan G H
28-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Can you still get Webber carburettor conversions, with a manual choke? I seem to remember fitting one some years ago on a Polo (or it may have been a Ford of some sort), and it made a vast difference.
If you can still get them, it would be much easier than trying to convert to fuel injection.

Retrohowla
29-10-2012, 01:45 PM
The idea behind the k-jet was the fact i had a donor car, a webber conversion will start costing money and to be honest the car isnt really worth that much anyway.
Thanks for the ideas though!

scotty33
29-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't know what is involved in fitting a manual choke conversion if it's possible? the other thing, is it a pierburg carb? A common problem was the mounting plate under the carb, is a rubber sandwich affair, when this splits you have a bad air leak. You might look out for a s/h weber, probably still a few carbed golfs coming to the end of their usefulness?

Retrohowla
29-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Yes its a Pierburg, its on a manual choke conversion, i have already checked the rubber mounting block and its fine, looks like its been changed before, the problem is its got so many vac hoses and servos and its quite possible many are not functioning as they should, thats not to say they are all in the right places. I will keep an eye out for a second hand webber but its unlikely the old girl will pass another MOT without a major cash injection so i may just scrap it if its not financially viable.