PDA

View Full Version : Passat SatNav - any good?

gribbles
13-06-2006, 05:41 AM
Hi all :)

I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and am looking into getting a 2.0TDI SE with the car allowance.

Just playing around with options and I was wondering what your thoughts & experiences are of the factort fit satnav?

Can't quite decide if I want to go for that option, or save a wad of money and get a portable unit.

Cheers,

g.

Aadil Patel
13-06-2006, 08:02 PM
is it an b6 or an b5.5

gribbles
13-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Buying it new, so b6?

iben
13-06-2006, 11:34 PM
I have never used a VW Sat Nav System, or for that matter any car manufacturers built in Sat Nav. I personnally use TOM TOM 5 on my XDA2i which I find every useful. I would deffinately recommend TOM TOM as they do a range of Portable Sat Nav Systems. Built in Sat Nav seems very expensive when you can get decent portable version for £200 - £300, it also means that you can use it in your second car or your wife can borrow it etc.

gribbles
13-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Yeah - it's that big price gap that's making me think.

Although I am a sucker for 'official' stuff. I'm also guessing that the whole shebang would sit nicer together insofar as if the factory stanav has voice prompts, then it'll do nice things like mute whatever music you are listening to. Dunno. Geting info on ay factory fitted satnav seems quite hard.

Don't suppose anyone knows of any links to pdf version of vw docs - specifically the satnav/audio stuff?

If I go for the satnav option, I'm probably going to get rid of the cd changer and add an ipod adaptor. I'd love to think that I could scoot around my ipod in the passat, with the satnav on giving me instuctions over the music.

Admittedly, I'm assuming a great deal - but I'm going to take a passat out for a test drive in a few days, so I'll ask someone at the dealership.

Unless one of you nice folks can put me right... ;)

snapdragon
14-06-2006, 02:01 PM
I think it's just a Blaupunkt Travelpilot in disguise, so look into those.
The voice commands on OEM are mixed in with audio from Radio CDs etc... The voice is much louder than a standalone unit which are quiet from a small laptop-type speaker. BUT the price of TOMTOM etc.. is a fraction! - much better value. You pays your money....

iben
14-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I agree with Snapdragon, you pays your money etc. I really couldnt justify the price hype for a built in one, especailly when TOM TOM gets better reviews than the more expensive ones. Having used a PDA TOM TOM system now for 2 years I dont think I would buy a built in, I would stay with my portable version, retain the flexibilty and portablity and have a decent hoilday abroad or chose other options to be added to the car with the money I'd saved. However, we aint all the same (as the HSBC Advert says:biglaugh: ), so go for what you want and enjoy it.