PDA

View Full Version : Buying A4 Avant or A6

schumi1
14-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi chaps bit of advise please looking at a A4 or A6 Avant was wondering how much larger load space passenger space is in the 6 over the 4 what would be the best engine for balance between power to compete on the open road and economy in both cars.

Been told the 110 bhp td is great in the 4 but is it enough in the heavier 6.

Changing from a 320 auto e36 which is great on the motorway but sluggish in town with the saxo brigade trying to race.

Many thanks

Have about 3k to spend so any guidance of age condition etc I might get for that would be helpful too.

Niall76
14-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I know the A6 avant has the biggest boot in it's class. Depends how much stuff you want to move around?

As for engines? What do you want? Petrol or Diesel?

schumi1
15-08-2007, 07:33 AM
as for engine I don't really mind on type just the best 1.

VanWheeler
15-08-2007, 08:12 AM
My Dad has just got a 180HP A6 2.5tdi V6 Quattro, I've remapped it for him and should be running between 225 and 235. They go like stink! Very very impressed with it, it's now a Saxo/Fiesta ST killer! LOL

Undercover
15-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I have an 110 tdi in my A6, and whilst it isn't that likely to win many boy racer competitions against the neds in their Saxos, it isn't too slugggish (especially when you learn how to use the power curves). And I would point out that in my A6, I'm less likely to drive it like a bat out of hell, as it's such a nice place to be.

The A6 Avant is cavernous, I'm sure there's an echo. There's enough room for me to take my wife, three kids, large greyhound, whole weeks shopping, travel cot, clothes for a week, in comfort on holiday. All those years spent playing Tetris are finally paying off.

Oh, and I averaged 51 mpg on the trip.:aargh4:

Alas
17-08-2007, 08:50 PM
I second Undercover's opinion. I am over six foot tall, and the A6 is one of the few cars where I can adjust the front seat to drive comfortably, then go and sit in the back seat and still have leg room, and the two huskies have plenty of room in the back/load area. Makes going on holiday in the car a pleasure.