PDA

View Full Version : How to Un-sorn my car :S HELP!

e6m6a6
14-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Right i SORNed my car back in may and now i am taking my test on thursday and want the car to be ready, but it needs to go gets it MOT first

I know that it can be driven without MOT or Tax but with insurence, but how do i unsorn it? do i just insure it and then apply for my road tax and it will automaticaly un-sorn it? or do i fill out forms like i did to SORN it in the first place? then wait for a certificate to say that it is unsorned and then i am free to tax it?

urgh i am so confused >.< someone please help! :confused:

chrisvrscrx
14-08-2007, 06:08 PM
You can drive it to the MOT station as long as it is booked in and it is insured. When it passes the mot, you can take the certificate, logbook and proof of insurance to the Post Office to tax it. You don't need to un-sorn it, just get it taxed.

Godd luck with your test.

RickT
14-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Right i SORNed my car back in may and now i am taking my test on thursday and want the car to be ready, but it needs to go gets it MOT first

I know that it can be driven without MOT or Tax but with insurence, but how do i unsorn it? do i just insure it and then apply for my road tax and it will automaticaly un-sorn it? or do i fill out forms like i did to SORN it in the first place? then wait for a certificate to say that it is unsorned and then i am free to tax it?

urgh i am so confused >.< someone please help! :confused:

You need to send the V5 which states SORN back to the DVLA before you can drive it on the road.. once DVLA has processed the application and you get the V5 back you will then be able to MOT the car.

IF the car is still classed as SORN and you get stopped, you will lose the car, plus 9 points, or even a ban.. SORN is worse than NO MOT, INSURANCE, MOT put together.

ONE thing to point out... due to the Royal mail strikes, bit of bad news, the DVLA are currently working 3 weeks behind due to a back log in not receving post.

The will be best going to your local DVLA office and trying to sort it there rather than by post.

They maybe able to sort it there and then.. otherwise you will have to wait..

RickT

RickT
14-08-2007, 06:10 PM
You can drive it to the MOT station as long as it is booked in and it is insured. When it passes the mot, you can take the certificate, logbook and proof of insurance to the Post Office to tax it. You don't need to un-sorn it, just get it taxed.

Godd luck with your test.

When i hadto get my old motor off sorn a few years ago i had to apply to UN-SORN it before the MOT... unless its changed.. or i was told wrong..

RickT

chrisvrscrx
14-08-2007, 06:12 PM
You need to send the V5 which states SORN back to the DVLA before you can drive it on the road.. once DVLA has processed the application and you get the V5 back you will then be able to MOT the car.

IF the car is still classed as SORN and you get stopped, you will lose the car, plus 9 points, or even a ban.. SORN is worse than NO MOT, INSURANCE, MOT put together.

ONE thing to point out... due to the Royal mail strikes, bit of bad news, the DVLA are currently working 3 weeks behind due to a back log in not receving post.

The will be best going to your local DVLA office and trying to sort it there rather than by post.

They maybe able to sort it there and then.. otherwise you will have to wait..

RickT

I think there is some confusion here!! I thought when you sorn a car you are basically telling the DVLA that the car is not kept on a public road. You dont need to send off your V5 (log book). You just simply tax the car, when you put the car back on the road taking in all the relavant docs.

RickT
14-08-2007, 06:13 PM
When i hadto get my old motor off sorn a few years ago i had to apply to UN-SORN it before the MOT... unless its changed.. or i was told wrong..

RickT

i was wrong..

Just read from the DVLA site.. to un-sorn the car.. just tax it with insurnace cert, V5 and mot..

RickT

e6m6a6
14-08-2007, 07:53 PM
:D thanks guys

now i just have to fork out £97 or whatever it is to tax it now, and to find a decent quote

one final question.....

when i get my insurance a cover note will arrive at my door, i can tax it with that yeah? and how long with this cover note take to arrive? id like to get on the road pretty much straight away

chrisvrscrx
14-08-2007, 07:58 PM
It depends when you insure it. They will send it in the post and you can get your insurance to start on thursday. They can fax a cover note but i'm not sure if the PO will accept this. Maybe they can email you one and you can print it off as this will look better than a fax. Don't forget with all the postal strikes recenlty it could take a while for your cover note to arrive if they don't fax one.

Let us know how you get on.

Loofer
14-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Blimey I'm going to sound like I've worked everywhere...

When I worked for an insrance company, we were happy to fax cover notes but informed customers that the PO WILL NOT accept fax/photocopies to tax vehicle.

As for PO strikes, the crown offices were on strike yesterday. They will be operating as normal the rest of this week.

As for the postal delay, back log is cleared and norma service has resumed.

I'm afraid you will ust have to wait for your cover note.... Having said that, my bro bought his insurance online through Norwich Union and he printed his cover note online.

Veedubber
15-08-2007, 12:31 PM

Oh hoh hoh nooooooo :( Ooooh, I think I'm going to be owing so much money... :crying:

I bought my car in January from a garage with 6 months tax on it. Only when I come to tax it now, I find that oh, actually, I never did get the V5... oops, I know, I know I should have noticed... but I didn't.

First of all, I didn't realise till this weekend that I didn't have tax cos I'd had no reminder and kind of got used to getting reminders for tax. So then when I go to tax it I can't cos it's the wrong V5 or wrong bit of V5. I phoned DVLA and they said they didn't have my name as keeper for my car and to cut a long story short, to send everything to them. I have but in the meantime :Blush2: I'm driving round without tax, and both my mot and my insurance certificate are in a postbox somewhere.

Oh :aargh4:

MalcQV
15-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Oh hoh hoh nooooooo :( Ooooh, I think I'm going to be owing so much money... :crying:

I bought my car in January from a garage with 6 months tax on it. Only when I come to tax it now, I find that oh, actually, I never did get the V5... oops, I know, I know I should have noticed... but I didn't.

First of all, I didn't realise till this weekend that I didn't have tax cos I'd had no reminder and kind of got used to getting reminders for tax. So then when I go to tax it I can't cos it's the wrong V5 or wrong bit of V5. I phoned DVLA and they said they didn't have my name as keeper for my car and to cut a long story short, to send everything to them. I have but in the meantime :Blush2: I'm driving round without tax, and both my mot and my insurance certificate are in a postbox somewhere.

Oh :aargh4:

:(:(Creek no paddles springs to mind :o

Veedubber
15-08-2007, 12:48 PM
:(:(Creek no paddles springs to mind :o

lol yeah you're right! gulp! ...whimper... wibble...

e6m6a6
18-08-2007, 09:03 PM
happy to say i passed my test :D first time

but bad news

had my mechanic friend to come and see the polo

and it has an oil problem

(i have a light on my dash saying that i am not gettin any oil pressure past 1,800 revs)

and all it needs is 5 mins work to stick a pressure tester on to see if this sensor is telling the truth, if it is then its a new car for me :(

if it is a dodgy sensor then im laughing........

was suppose to be picked up on Friday morning and it is still sat outside my house, argh could be on the road now but no, some mechanics are gays

Ben
18-08-2007, 09:12 PM
well done on passing your test.:beerchug::drive: