PDA

View Full Version : Front ashtray issue!!

nilocp
17-10-2012, 08:51 PM
The front ashtray does not get used and is stuck shut. Guess what is in it? Correct, the key for the locking wheel nuts:zx11:

Any tips for getting it open without using brute force

colin

dansansome
17-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Is the wheel key jamming the lid do you think? Or has the lid just seized? You might be able to get something thin under the lid to try and move the locking key if you think the key is jamming it.

nilocp
17-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I dont think the key is jamming it. I have not had the car long, so am not sure of the action on the lid. Do you push it down to release it, or does it just pull up? Is there actually a catch inside, or maybe just a spring to hold it shut?

Colin

dansansome
17-10-2012, 10:44 PM
If its the same as my cab, then you press on the long edge of the ashtray lid closest to the gear stick, then the lid should spring open and rotate backwards towards the dashboard. I can't remember if there is an audible click or not.

mavs
18-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Yes press down on the side nearest gear stick. You should hear a click then the ashtray springs open toward the climate control unit

mikeybutch
18-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Try some electrical solvent spray round the edges.Sometimes sugary drink spill can cause sticking

nilocp
21-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Managed to get it open by forcing it a bit. Problem seems to be in the hinge / latch which is behind the ashtray. I suppose I will have to take it out and investigate!!

Or leave it open!!

CP

Adman
22-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Managed to get it open by forcing it a bit. Problem seems to be in the hinge / latch which is behind the ashtray. I suppose I will have to take it out and investigate!!

Or leave it open!!

CP

I had this on my old B7, it was coins stuck in the back of the mechanism. Had to take the ashtray unit out to remove coins.

nilocp
08-11-2012, 05:19 PM
In front of the ashtray there is another small trim panel. Does that actually flick out without taking out the complete centre console? It does feel as if the lid is catching something underneath, maybe coins. If I can get the small panel out I may be able to rectify the problem.

CP

Adman
08-11-2012, 05:27 PM
The panel will come out, you would need to remove the climate control unit which means removing the stereo to gain acces. from memory it just clips in - no screws do you have single or double din stereo?

nilocp
08-11-2012, 05:59 PM
It is a single unit

RuslanA4
08-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Hi. My ashtray used to get stuck very often. I've ended up taking it all out. I took it apart to smallest part, washed in warm water with a bit of soap, blew everything out with compressed air, put back together and it works like new now.