PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi A4 B8 TDI 170 correct starting procedure

Chris L Hall
16-10-2012, 09:09 PM
I have a recently purchased a 2010 A4 B8 Avant TDI 170 from an Audi main dealer. Despite following the manual to the letter, the engine starting is problematical. Sometimes it starts normally and on others pressing the key fob to start the engine appears to turn the ignition off. I am holding the clutch down as advised but the problem still continues erratically. The car is still under warranty but as my nearest dealer is over 50 miles away, any advice would be appreciated as to whether this is a known problem that needs attention, or is it something I am not doing correctly in the starting procedure.
Thank you
Chris L Hall

Guest 2
16-10-2012, 09:12 PM
hold in clutch and hold in the key until it starts and it will start everytime

fat controller
16-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I can only offer advice from the perspective of a Passat owner, which has a similar key - it is really easy to jump in and 'rush' the procedure and end up with the car not starting. Be slow and methodical with it, and make sure that your seat is in the right position too so that you are getting the clutch fully depressed. Hopefully, it will just be a case of you getting used to it.

c.grex
16-10-2012, 09:51 PM
I rush all the time! I never have a issue? Even a quick press of the button will start the car, and when it's cold it takes a few seconds after the quick press to start.

strickers
17-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Sometimes there is a slight delay in mine I assume this is related to diesel preheat as the amber light is on. This only happens on the first start of the day, so ignition on, clutch in and then press to start (hold in) and wait if necessary.