PDA

View Full Version : Question Instrument Cluster Display Disappearing

seveagh
16-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi,

New to the forum! I have a 2008 A4 B8 model. Just about two weeks ago I had it serviced, and about 8 days later the Information Panel (Instrument Cluster) between the Speedo & Rev counter started going all funny. I was getting large font letters, numbers, and an image of a car on the display, and other irregular icons and eventually the panel will go blank. I took it back to the service centre to get a diagnostics check.
The result of which is, "we dont know whats causing it but it needs to be replaced", approx €1000!! (The Unit containing the speed & rev count clocks and display in between).

Now, in the mornings when the car is used for the first time is when the display will remain normal for the longest duration, up to 10-12 mins, then it becomes irregular and then will go blank. If the car is then turned off for maybe 1 hour, and then, when restarted, it might not come back on. If the engine is off for approx. 4 hours, it will come back for about 5 mins. So, I was wondering if it may be caused when the car/engine reaches a certain temperature, is the panel/electrics heating up? But I'm probably wrong.

I was surprised to be told by the service centre a full software reset cannot be done, as I was hoping this may have fixed it.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what may be the cause of it. Hatefull to be told we "don't know what is wrong so Just by a new part from us and we'll fit it". How convenient.

theskyfox
17-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi, Not sure how relevant it is..but I had a similar issue last year. I was driving along and the DIS display blanked out and went white. I was unable to use the phone, or view anything on it. Seemed to be a known problem though...it turned out to be a faulty voltage regulator on the alternator..which was replaced under warranty. Maybe its worth finding out if yours is the same or similar problem?

-Andrew

seveagh
17-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the reply theskyfox.
Have to say, that is interesting to know. Tried driving today with the climate at a lo setting and things seemed to be going a lot better. At one stage we pulled in and I got out and had to get something from the rear seat and when I opened the rear door it had an affect on DIS, all information started going wonky. I know I will replace the part, (clocks, DIS) one of these days, but feel it is a lame reason from the Audi service centre here that "don't know what is wrong so replace it".

You say that yours Seemed to be a known problem, was it an Audi centre that told you this? I would love something to go back to the service centre with, something solid.

Again theskyfox, thanks for the reply.

a8 tech
17-10-2012, 08:15 PM
internal circuit error/voltage drop so replace the dash insert common as muck this

take a photo or film it then send the image to the dealer

seveagh
17-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the input a8 tech.

So you are saying that the speeed, rev clocks, DIS unit needs to be replaced? So, I may have to bite the bullet on this one and quit searching for an alternative, cheaper fix!! The dealer had the car for half a day, so I assume they seen what was going on. Ah well, a pricey common as muck problem!!

Thanks for the reply

a8 tech
18-10-2012, 06:47 PM
yep, try goodwill but as they won't commit to a diagnosis then its unlikely they will risk confirming the dash is fubar

seveagh
18-10-2012, 07:48 PM
They have done the diagnostics and the result was that they didn't know what was causing it. The diagnosis was "it needs replacing" which was all I got. As for goodwill, Audi Ireland initially said yea, if its a manufacturing fault, but then retracted it, after I got the diagnostics done. But the dealer has now offered a discount, which is something to ease the financial pain.

seveagh
08-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Here is just an image of something that is going on with the panel. This is not it at its worst. Anyway, have the part ordered to be replaced.

Zenerdiode
19-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Ahh, that's the little car symbol for the Advanced Cruise Control - it doesn't usually appear there though. :)

Have you tried BBA Reman (http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx) to see if they may help?

Guest 2
20-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Ahh, that's the little car symbol for the Advanced Cruise Control - it doesn't usually appear there though. :)

Have you tried BBA Reman (http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx) to see if they may help?

It's also showing to 4F A6 on a B8 dash!