PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140bhp S Line Avant (BRE)

graeme1808
15-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Hi all,

Im relatively new to this forum but was looking a bit of tuning advice to the said vehicle.

1. Has anybody with the same car had theirs remapped?
2. Will a remap to approx. 175bhp make much of a noticeable driving difference?
3. Will this take out the dreaded flat spot in 1st gear?
4. Where is recommended to go for this in the Belfast region?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest 2
15-10-2012, 09:18 PM
JimC64 (VW AUDI Forum - VWAF (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?89536-JimC64)) has had his 140 BRE remapped to around 170-80 bhp

Torquetronix in Ballymena or OBD Auto Tune in Ballymena have had good news about them

http://www.auto-tune.co.uk/

Home | Torquetronix (http://www.torquetronix.co.uk/)

graeme1808
15-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Cheers Chris ... Is he happy with it do ya know?

Guest 2
15-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Yep - I've seen him praise many of times how much more responsive it is after the remap and hasn't caused him any bother.

I think he paid about ~£300 for the map.

graeme1808
15-10-2012, 09:28 PM
OBD & Torquetronix have came in at roughly the same price, £240 with dyno, £200 without. That was for a standard (stage 1) remap, 175bhp approx. I was just curious how it felt driving.
p.s. Nice A6 ya have!

Brycie
15-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Just to add to that, Jim did specifically mention to me that the remap improved the first gear take off which he classed as "down right dangerous" before the remap. He'll be along before long no doubt to give you his impressions first hand I'm sure. Seems to me the remap is going to give you exactly the results you're after.

graeme1808
15-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Brycie, thankyou for that, the 1st gear take off IS RIDICULOUS! I have been caught out on numerous occasions ... having to clutch it for the turbo to come in early just to get out of a junction quickly. I thought it was only my car, now i know its not!

Brycie
15-10-2012, 10:03 PM
No problem, for once my memory didn't fail me. Just lucky he happened to mention it to me. You do have to be very careful at take off, I agree, I just thought it was a diesel thing. I can usually deal with it now that I'mbused to the feel of the power/clutch/biting point etc, but there are moments when I've got it wrong & had a stuttery take off.

Let us know what you decide on & your findings afterwards.

graeme1808
15-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Will do & thanks again guys for the replies.

Aptuning
23-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Where about in the country are you graeme1808? if you are still looking for a remap then i MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP.

Guest 2
23-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Where about in the country are you graeme1808? if you are still looking for a remap then i MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP.

I didn't know you served Northern Ireland?

Aptuning
23-10-2012, 05:14 PM
LOL I don't chris, thats why i was asking where graeme1808 was. Never mind eh

graeme1808
23-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Im in Belfast mate. Moneys tight at the minute, that's why I haven't progressed on this.

JimC64
24-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Hey there, I can concur that the 2.0 140 BRE engine IS (or was ) downright dangerous taking off in first. You certainly wouldn't want to be taking any chances and going for it, thats for sure!!

I'm sorry though, as my car was almost new I went with Audi to protect the warranty and so paid through the nose, around £800 iirc

The difference taking it from 140bhp - 176bhp was like night n day, MUCH more responsive in all gears and especially great in first..........really made the car that much more driveable IMO.

I had a Saab 93 that I also got remapped by Saab themselves for the same reasons on a 1.9 Tid Vector Sport, which took it from 150bhp - 175bhp but was also around £800 but with a bigger and sportier backbox too.

The last one before that was a Ford Mondeo ST Tdci 155bhp that I got done by Seditas of Ayr and took it to 195bhp for a cost of around £300.......That was one FAST diesel I can tell you.

Sorry I can't recomend anyone in your area I'm afraid.
Do your homework and check out the listings on the internet, word of mouth etc. I'm sure you can get a good reputable remap for around £300 - £400

Good luck and hope to hear :beerchug:

Brycie
24-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Aah there you are Jim, thought you'd gone awol lol. Hope my comments were correct & you don't mind me quoting you on that.

Did you say you went from 145bhp? Was your's more than the official 140bhp as standard then when put on a rolling road prior to your remap?

P.s. Graeme, why did you dislike AP Tuning's post by the way? I think there's confusion as to the use of this button, but most on here tend to use it in situations where there's a disagreement rather than the previous type of situation. It is ambiguous that button's function though.

graeme1808
24-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Guys, thanks again for the replies & advice ... i will deffo be getting this done when the money situations ok, seems to be the way to go!

Brycie, I didnt even realise I had disliked the post, the reply had been sent from my phone so unless I hit the button by mistake.
AP Tuning, apologies for this, my bad! :D

Brycie
24-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Lol, I did wonder. You have the function to un-dislike btw.

That car of your's will be unbelievable when you've finished with it. I've got a soft spot for B6 S Lines in that red.

graeme1808
25-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Just on the tuning matter, the car has just started shaking/hesitating a bit on boost up high. I haven't even had it remapped yet! Dirty diesel possibly? I also had a new clutch/fly wheel kit fitted but there's still a lot of vibration through the pedal ... is this common?

Tristan77
22-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi has anyone used motech ??

Tristan77
22-12-2012, 10:51 PM
No one !!

Guest 2
22-12-2012, 10:58 PM
No one !!

Give people a chance to reply mate.

It's a Saturday evening after all and you're piggybacking on someone else's thread.

Why don't you start a new thread here Reviews & Recommendations of Dealers, Independant Garages & Breakers Sponsored by Volks Auto (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?43-Reviews-amp-Recommendations-of-Dealers-Independant-Garages-amp-Breakers-Sponsored-by-Volks-Auto)

Aptuning
23-12-2012, 12:36 AM
No one !!

Hi there. Why don't you come & see me? I'm around 1.5 hours away.
i can't comment on he's work but have come across him a couple of times on some forums.

graeme1808
17-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Ok guys, I got round to getting the car remapped EVENTUALLY! The cars boost is a lot stronger through all gears & doesn't lag towards top end anymore, pulls right through the rev range & seems to be easier on diesel. BUT, to be honest, i'm not overly impressed! The drive tells different to the figures. Before was 144.9bhp & after is 179.7bhp. The flat spot in 1st gear is still there as the turbo doesn't boost until 2k RPM. Maybe i'm wrong, but after getting this done, i thought it was going to be like driving the old B6 130bhp TDI? More low down torque? The car is still the same just with a stronger boost.

Guest 2
17-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Who mapped it?

graeme1808
17-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Who mapped it?

Torquetronix Chris. I'm not knocking them at all, maybe I just expected a lot more of a difference.

Brycie
17-09-2013, 12:25 PM
If you let them know in advance, that you wanted to get rid of the 1st gear flat spot issue & it's still a problem, I'd be asking them to have another look at it. Shouldn't the remap be tailored to your needs & your car? If so, they should be able to address the lack of power in each gear individually. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim is very pleased with the improvement in 1st gear, so you know it can be done.

Glad you're happy with the remap otherwise though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

graeme1808
17-09-2013, 12:33 PM
If you let them know in advance, that you wanted to get rid of the 1st gear flat spot issue & it's still a problem, I'd be asking them to have another look at it. Shouldn't the remap be tailored to your needs & your car? If so, they should be able to address the lack of power in each gear individually. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim is very pleased with the improvement in 1st gear, so you know it can be done.

Glad you're happy with the remap otherwise though.

Cheers Brycie! It was a tailored remap with Dyno printout after to show graph. I was told that the boost can't be brought in any earlier due to the speed in which the oil pump operates at which RPM. In other words, below 2k RPM, the pump isn't operating fast enough to cope with the boost, hence the 2k boost.

Brycie
17-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Fair play. At least they took the time to explain it, sounds like decent service. I'm sure if the 2k rpm thing didn't ring true, one of the experts would be along to advise you. You've obviously got too high standards :)

alex13p
27-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Nearly a year later.... Graeme, if you're still about, how are you finding it?

I've recently bought the same car and keen to get this done. Looking for some feedback on upkeep/maint and living with this on a daily driver.

Thanks guys

graeme1808
27-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Still got the car & still have it remapped. Easier on diesel, it's got the poke when you need it & no difference on upkeep or maintenance but that all depends on how often it's thrashed! I had the clutch, flywheel & EGR replaced before it was done so alls good!

Brycie
27-08-2014, 10:45 PM
I've also had mine remapped since this thread was started. I have to say I echo graeme1818's comments exactly. It's not solved the lack of power in the low revs & even at peak rev range (2k-3.5k) it's not exactly turned the car into a racer, but it has improved overall acceleration for things like overtaking. No real signs of any downsides in economy or any issues with the gearbox dealing with the extra bhp.

Got mine done on a half price offer for £180 Inc vat - pretty happy to have paid that for the results over all. Not sure if I'd feel it represented value for money at much more than that, unless you get one of those fancy remake that allows you to choose which map you want to activate each time you get in the car (e.g. a map for economy, one for performance & one for a compromise).