PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Cluster Fault

rc4279
14-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Have a fault with the above, no power to the unit whatsoever. Had the AA come out and run some tests and diagnose the problem. having looked on the net, I understand this is a common fault with Audi's. To replace its looking like the best part of £1,000! Obviously not happy at all after only having the car for 2 months!! Not covered in the warranty.

I also noticed a few companies offering repairs at a more reasonable cost. Can anyone recommend anyone inparticular or spread any more light on the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Car is: Audi TT FSI 2007

Crasher
14-10-2012, 09:32 PM
New shape or old shape TT?

rc4279
15-10-2012, 12:28 PM
New shape or old shape TT?

New shape TT

Thanks

Crasher
15-10-2012, 12:47 PM
As far as I can see the cluster is just under £500 and with even Audi labour that should be around £620 fitted. I have not seen a type 8J cluster go faulty yet but you could try giving BBA Reman a call on 01634 687222 as they have repaired the previous generation TT dasher for me.

rc4279
15-10-2012, 01:58 PM
As far as I can see the cluster is just under £500 and with even Audi labour that should be around £620 fitted. I have not seen a type 8J cluster go faulty yet but you could try giving BBA Reman a call on 01634 687222 as they have repaired the previous generation TT dasher for me.

Great, thanks for the advice. I have just spoke to Lions (car Garage) and they recommend I send it to the company they use. It's called ECU Testing, they charge £165.00 for the repairs. They even said go direct with them to cut them out as the middle man as it will save me some money.

Failing that, I will give BBA a call. Would you know the part no. for the cluster itself? I can't seem to find it.

Appreciate your advice. Very helpful. Thanks

Crasher
15-10-2012, 02:24 PM
yes I know the company in question, they are near my wife's place of work, quite close to us here and I don't use them, I use BBA I cannot say any more. Their are dozens of different clusters, I would need your cars chassis number.

rc4279
15-10-2012, 07:40 PM
yes I know the company in question, they are near my wife's place of work, quite close to us here and I don't use them, I use BBA I cannot say any more. Their are dozens of different clusters, I would need your cars chassis number.

ok, GREAT. The chassis no. is TRUZZZ 858 710 376 76

Crasher
16-10-2012, 09:48 AM
That chassis number is slightly wrong, can you PM me the reg?

toff
18-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Hi,

My TT has been running fine since I got it about 3 months ago.

I started the engine tonight but noticed there was no sign of life on the instrument cluster... the engine cut out after a few seconds (the instrument cluster fuse tested ok). The car locks / unlocks just fine, so some modules are clearly still working.

I can hear a pump running constantly, even when the keys arent in the ignition. Removing relay 643 stops it. Is it the dreaded instrument cluster failure do you think?

Regards
Al

toff
19-10-2018, 12:58 AM
There seem to be a number of people re-building clusters:

Crasher suggested the service from BBA Reman (http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/catalogue/detailedproduct.aspx?detailedproduct=2086) (price is £35 for testing, £125 for the repair plus shipping on top. All + VAT) 3 working day turn-around.
rc4279 suggested ECU Testing (http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/product/audi_tt_dashboard_instrument_cluster_dac20980c.htm l) in Derby (£195 +VAT) - (they seem to have gone up in price since you posted rc4279!)
Has anybody clocked the repair service (excuse the pun!) from Cartronix (https://cartronix.co.uk/product/audi-tt-mk2-instrument-cluster-dash-repair/)? (£150 inc VAT).

If Crasher has good experience with BBA Reman, then that's probably the way to go. Who did you use in the end please rc4279?

[ Edit to update the BBA Reman prices ]

Crasher
19-10-2018, 08:49 AM
BBA are miles away at the other edge of England, ECU testing are a few miles from my house and right near where Mrs Crasher works plus my stores man Dave used to work there, we use BBA.... Can you message me your cars VIN?

Also AC Tronics list a repair for the 8J panel at £142 + VAT.

toff
20-10-2018, 01:20 AM
Thank you Crasher, I've sent a PM.

I ordered a low-loader to take the TT to my local garage today. I tried starting the car several times last night and no sign of life but unbelievably the dashboard functioned perfectly when the low-loader driver tried to start the car this afternoon :mad:

Annoyingly I could have saved myself the low-loader fee but I never expected it would suddenly come back to life! Oh well.

Having spoken to a few of the companies that fix the clusters; they say that such intermittent behavior is par for the course when the clusters begin to fail. Apparently a Motorola chip is the cause of the issue and gets replaced as part of the re-manufacturing process.

My local garage are extracting the cluster (would have done it myself but I have an RAC Platinum warranty I can hopefully claim back on).

Al

Crasher
20-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Most warranties would exclude that but the RAC Platinum policy is the only one I don’t get depressed about when customers ask me to make use of it. With most warranties we try and work with it would cost me less money in wasted time if I just gave the customer £50 and said go elsewhere! If BBA will do it, that is who I would trust but now I have full ODIS with GEKO it makes more sense for me to insist on a new genuine panel so the job is done in an hour rather than sitting dead for at least a week, I don’t know what it is about the 8J that makes them such a heavy lump to push around when the body is mostly ally and said ally makes you nervous pushing the things in case it dents. The panel for yours is 8J0 920 980 FX and costs £692.14 plus installation and programing.

toff
27-10-2018, 11:59 PM
Thanks very much for looking-up the panel part number and costs, very much appreciated Crasher.

As the TT is a second car (the A6 is my daily driver / van) it makes no odds that it's off the road for a a week... and given I couldn't afford the panel & re-programming at the moment; I plumped for the diagnostic / repair with BBA Reman.

The service from BBA Reman was very professional, glad I went with them, thanks for the recommendation. Sadly the news was mixed - their initial tests show the instrument cluster is fine (it powers on perfectly etc) but they can't fully test it as it has a "Marconis" (sp?) controller.

They are very honorably returning the cluster without charge. The bad news is that they suspect there is a wiring fault in the car :(
I've had one other incident with the car that might be related - one evening, the central locking simply refused to work but was absolutely fine the next morning!

I've had disappointing results with auto electricians in the past - they spend an hour trying to figure out the problem, then give up and charge for the hour and you're none the wiser :mad: Any suggestions as to who I can take the TT to for a decent diagnosis would be much appreciated - I'm based in Manchester but will gladly travel to a decent place with a great reputation.

Al.

Crasher
28-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Well as a mechanic who loves electrics I know what auto electricians go through, tracing wiring faults can drive you mad and take ridiculous amounts of time, I have a customers car in at the moment that we did some huge work on rectifying a previous tuners terrible work and at the end of the work developed an electrical problem that only showed up under very hard acceleration, it’s not easy to use a multimeter under the bonnet when a 3.2 turbo is under full boost! Even on a rolling road after a month (yes a month) of testing it would not give up its secret which in the end was a corroded terminal inside a multi plug as someone in the past had bodged it and hidden the repair, I think the number of hours I spent on that problem was in the hundreds and I could not charge for any of it as to the frustrated owner it looked like we had caused the problem. It’s intermittent problems that are the most frustrating, a dead circuit is much easier to track than one that only plays up now and again and when you type up the bill it is nearly impossible to put into words what you have been through.

The TT 8J is very prone to water leaks from the plenum chamber left hand drive version blanking plate under the wiper motor exacerbated by poor drainage in the chamber, do you park under trees or hedges? This water ingress can cause all sorts of problems and due to the design of the floor people do not realise there is a water leak until the floor chamber fills up.

toff
29-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Thanks Crasher,

I do appreciate the impossibility of the situation when there are hundreds of joints / connections & PCBs that could be intermittently causing the problem... the majority of which are not the easiest to get to!

My A6 has suffered with a power drain since I got it - the two local auto electricians I've used only seem happy to spend a maximum of 1 hour trying to find the problem then give up, despite me saying I'm happy to pay for overnight diagnostic etc.

Back to the TT - I did notice that my windscreen was steamed up mysteriously on the night when the instrument cluster issue occurred and the drivers side window had dropped an inch (I don't usually forget to roll them up - perhaps the central convenience unit got mildly moist?). Perhaps I have a plenum blockage - I will check it out, thanks for the hint.

Al

toff
24-12-2018, 01:52 AM
The garage said they gave all the connectors a good blast of electrical contact cleaner and re-installed the cluster. No problems since then but it's a little unnerving as I'd never had any problems until it first happened!

Fingers crossed!