PDA

View Full Version : Question Starting problem

Chuckles21
14-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I've got a 1995 Audi Coupe V6 which I bought a few weeks ago. It's been running well although I've only done a couple of hundred miles.

Had to replace the seals on the rear lights and boot lip trim to stop the water getting in and replace the battery almost straight away but otherwise it was running well.

Thursday night after work I had driven home (about 7 miles) and when I pulled up the engine began to stall and I couldn't stop it. The revs were dipping and climbing slightly and then it cut out and wouldn't start. left it a couple of minutes and it started and was idling fine.

Next day start it up and again the engine is searching for idle and then stalls and won't start. Today, Sunday, the engine is turning over well but not firing. I'm thinking it might be the fuel filter so give it a shake and then tried and the engine started but with the same problem then stalled. :aargh4:

The reason I think it might be the filter is that I let the petrol level get pretty low on Tuesday before filling up (Esso). Only used the car briefly, about a mile, on Wednesday and had the problem on Thursday after about 14 mile in total. Of course the fuel filter would be a cheap fix as well!

What do you guys think? Anyone had a similar problem and sorted it?

Cheers

Chuckles21
16-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Anyone who's interested, did a load of checks-fuel filter, spark, air and no luck. Started the diagnostic read using a paperclip and the flashing dashboard light. Put the paperclip in, turned the key and the engine burst into life although running fast. Took it for a spin and the revs are back to normal and now starts fine.
No idea what the problem was. Sure it'll come back though!

Doctle Odd
16-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Which pins did you put the paper clip into/? You might have succeeded in clearing the ecu of codes

Chuckles21
17-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Not very technical but - using the two connectors in the fuse box for the diagnostics, i put the paperclip across the right hand pins on both (the side closest to the fuses) if that makes sense.