PDA

View Full Version : TDIe missing spare wheel

moptisam2
13-10-2012, 06:33 AM
I picked up my new TDIe on Monday and, so far, am very pleased with the way it drives.

There is just (so far) one niggle: the lack of a spare wheel, even a ‘space-saver’, instead I have a can of sealant and a compressor.

My question is: Has anyone read Audi’s reasons for dispensing with an actual spare or discussed it with, say, a dealer?

In one way, if I get a puncture it will be easier to fix, as I won’t have to jack up the car to change it. The big downside is that the punctured type can’t be repaired (it would mean cleaning all the dried on sealant from the inside of the tyre, so a permanent repair could be carried out) and a new tyre is needed.

The latest price for one of these is almost £200!!!

Doctle Odd
13-10-2012, 07:35 AM
I assume it's a money saving idea, no doubt the saving wasn't passed on to you.

Guest 2
13-10-2012, 07:37 AM
When I bought my a3 (March 2009 registered) I was told by my sales rep that it was one of the last cars to get a space saver spare wheel and they had all changed to the foam.

DrNorthy
13-10-2012, 08:27 AM
I was lucky I got a slow puncture so didn't need the foam and got away with a puncture repair.
I am thinking about buying a spare myself.
Have we a jack can't remember seeing one will have to check.

zollaf
13-10-2012, 10:05 AM
a can of foam is great for a small hole in the tread, but gash a sidewall and you are then faced with a ride on a recovery truck to the nearest tyre dealer. myself, i would be getting a full size spare in the boot.

Gizmo68
13-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Not sure if Audi are the same as the rest in the VAG group, but a spare wheel is available on most models (apart from the eco versions) as an optional extra.

rizo9
13-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Not sure if Audi are the same as the rest in the VAG group, but a spare wheel is available on most models (apart from the eco versions) as an optional extra.

my A4 MY13 177black edition has a space saver as standard my mates MY12 has a space saver as standard too.

theres not enough room to get a full size in there due to the battery and tool kit.

DrNorthy
13-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Just checked mine there is no jack either.

rizo9
13-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Just checked mine there is no jack either.

the jack comes witht he space saver, you don't need a jack if you have got a wheel to put on.

YawnGumbo
13-10-2012, 08:03 PM
I'd heard that they took out the spare wheel to save weight and hence keep the CO2 emissions down on the TDIe models. However, strangely I got a spare with my 136 TDIe even though the specs suggested I wouldn't be getting one when I placed the order.

DrNorthy
13-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Yawngumbo is it where it should be in the boot?
As I have a massive battery there you couldn't fit a tyre in there.

Guest 2
13-10-2012, 08:27 PM
on cars with spacesavers the wheel sits over the top of the battery

derekm
15-10-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd heard that they took out the spare wheel to save weight and hence keep the CO2 emissions down on the TDIe models. However, strangely I got a spare with my 136 TDIe even though the specs suggested I wouldn't be getting one when I placed the order.

I also have a new facelift 136 TDIe Avant and it has the space saver fitted. Seems strange that some have it and some don't?
Maybe the TDIe saloons dont have it but the Avants do?

moptisam2
16-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone for all your replies.

The fact of the battery being in the boot must be a major reason.

Interestingly, if you don't already know, Watchdog on BBC tomorrow at 8 p.m. is doing a feature on the manufacturers who don't provide spare wheels.

I wonder if Audi/Volkswagen Group will be mentioned.

theskyfox
17-10-2012, 06:46 PM
I hate those cans of gunk. Had to use one once on my sisters cabriolet..ended up with an epic fail and tow truck recovery. Its also worth mentioning that once you use that gunk, the tyre is effectively a write-off...meaning that a minor puncture can end up costing you hundreds. My car came with a space saver wheel (which I also hate). I know its a pain with the additional cost, but its probably better to just convert eventually to run-flat tyres. Would save the headaches in the long term...

-Andrew

Doctle Odd
17-10-2012, 07:10 PM
In the boot of my ancient A4 is a small trolley jack, a spare spare, a slidy extendable wheel brace, a pair of dirty gloves, a liter of engine oil, an empty torch and a mercedes reversible screwdriver. I used to have vcds cable and a multimeter. It's not very practical for luggage or groceries but it means I don't have to give the in-laws a lift