PDA

View Full Version : Centre Cap Corrosion

MAC
14-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Has anyone else experienced corrosion of their alloy wheel centre caps? I have an '06 B6 140 TDI Sport with 17" alloys, and all 4 are badly corroded & look terrible. However, as I took the car to the dealer today to check out excessive exhaust smoke and a flickering auto dimming rear view mirror, I asked them if they had been having many problems with the centre caps? The reply was : Are thy corroding Sir? I said yes, and the service guy said not to worry & they would replace them FOC.:D Result!

As for the smoke / soot, they have re-mapped the engine and are to replace the ECU / Convenience unit under recall. Also they are going to replce the rear view mirror under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced excessive exhaust smoke?

Mark

BenR
14-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Not in my Passat but you should see my 1986 Land Rover!

Quatrelle
14-08-2007, 01:58 PM
There was something on another thread here about centre cap corrosion - I was going to suggest having a trawl through, but if you've got yours sorted I suppose there's not much point!

iaint
14-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I've just had all four centre caps replaced under warranty due to corrosion. It's worth anyone who is experiencing this mentioning it to the dealer at the next service, as the cost of four centre caps if you decide to get them done after your warranty ends would be £75. I know this as the price was still included on my invoice and just removed from the total.

I have also been told I need my steering column and convenience unit replacing in line with the recall but have been told this is being done if the units serial numbers match those on the recall, not because of any adverse smoke reports.

Cheers
Iain

MAC
14-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Iaint,

What is the steering column recall? The dealers havent mentioned it to me, but I'll ask them about it whilst the car is still with them.

Mark.

PNS2007
14-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi, took my car in last week regarding the centre caps and they are being replaced too. Never even questioned it or looked at the car. What's the recal with regards to your sterring column?

iaint
15-08-2007, 08:19 AM
The recall regarding the steering column is mentioned here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12310
It only affects cars made before June 06 apparently, which is why you may not have been told about it if your car isn't affected. I believe the convenience pack recall is of a similar nature.

Neither are an immediate safety issue and VW should check during your next service if they need doing, if it is applicable to your car of course.

Cheers
Iain

passat170
15-08-2007, 11:21 PM
My Passat showed signs of corrosion on the centre caps at 6 months old, these have now been replaced under warranty.
All 3 Golf's I have owned have been the same.
It's unfortunate this hasn't been corrected!

MAC
18-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Out of interest, did you get the centre caps replaced like for like, or did they replace them with slightly different ones?
My original corroded ones were chromed on the outer edges, the new ones they have put in are black on the outer edges.

passat170
19-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Mine were replaced like for like, chromed as per the original ones (SEL standard wheels).

iaint
20-08-2007, 08:07 AM
My new ones are like yours Mac, a VW badge in the centre with a black surround.

To be honest I can't remember if the original ones had a chrome surround or not, I'm sure it was black as they look to me to be the same as before, but now as you've put that doubt in my mind I couldn't honestly say.

Cheers
Iain

Quatrelle
20-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Mine (Dec.2006 French 140TDI), still the originals, have the usual VW in a chrome circle, but it looks like there is a thin black edge to them. (I mention that the car is French only because I sometimes wonder if VW fit 'different' parts to cars for different markets.)

They aren't showing any signs of corrosion (checked them carefully after this thread started!) but they don't often salt the roads round here - assuming it's salt that is partly to blame?

Perry
23-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Just a thought guys but do you think your problem is from taking your car the car wash?

The cleaner they use on the wheels is like an acid, if not washed off it ruins the wheels. It's possible when the cleaner/acid is sprayed on it works into the centre caps and when they rinse the wheels after the damage has already started.

It's happened to my B5, hope my B6 wont have the same problem when I pick it up this week.

iaint
26-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Just a thought guys but do you think your problem is from taking your car the car wash?

It's a possibility. I personnally don't use a car wash I wash mine by hand, but I did get the car as an ex demo so the garage could have started the process without me realising it.

I'll keep an eye on it from now on as if your suspicions are correct I shouldn't have this problem in the future.

Cheers
Iain

kenny boy
20-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Had my 55 reg 2.0tdi in for failed fuel and tandem pump at 50k, (they said they have had a lot in for fuel pumps going) not good whilst in they did recal on conveniance ecu but were using a new software which locked the car up and they could not get it back to its old state that was five days ago, they had to get VW tech support in to fix it, now it miss fires at anything over 2500 revs, and still smokes like it used to. all wheel caps replaced as averyone else heater fan making a hell of a noise when cold. wish I had gone Jap.

shaun3030
29-11-2008, 04:39 PM
During my 60,000 miles of warranty I had 9 wheel centre caps that had corroded and also 3 new alloy wheels which had also corroded and mine never goes near a car wash! My car is only just 2 years and 2 months old but it may as well be 10 years old for the grief I have had with it. I think when this B6 Passat goes it will be bye bye VW.

johnloaderuk
29-11-2008, 06:38 PM
My company 55 plate 2.0 TDI Sport has always smoked excessively in my opinion. I've mentioned it at every single service, only to be told they'll check for any ECU updates when it's in. They do, of course, never find any problem, so it still smokes (not sure if it's oil or diesel smoke, or maybe bit of both). Now have 115k on the clock and first MOT due on Monday, so we'll see how it goes during the emissions test. I get to choose a new car by the end of the year, and this smoking issue is putting me off having another VW diesel, despite the fact I find the car great in almost every other area. Could of course pay extra to have one with a DPF (140 HP), but I feel it should now be standard (perhaps it is). Likewise, why are VW dragging their feet over reducing emissions, when you can have a BMW 320d (177 horse power), with emissions of less than 140kg. Meanwhile, the Passat Bluemotion 2 is just about to be released, but only 110HP from 2 litres - have they taken the turbo off or something. I also had a word with my VW dealers tech guy, and he said the DPF isn't covered under warranty if you drive around town all day - something to do with it getting over 95% clogged. Meanwhile, I'll still be smoking up and down the motorways until the end of December when I get my new car - whatever that may be.

gamichea
30-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Had two full sets of wheel centres replaced on my 2000W A6 FOC, the second set just a few days before warranty expired :approve:.

I could never entirely eradicate the problem but found several coats of good quality wax re-applied every 4-6 months kept them pretty good.

No problems so far with the B6, maybe linked to the fact I've switched away from traditional waxes. I use 2-3 coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant which is really excellent, brake dust just washes away as do virtually all other wheel contaminants. Only needs replenishing annually when the wheels come off for a really good clean and a base coat of Jeffs Prime Strong followed by the Poorboys. Doesn't take long and the payback is a year of really easy & effective cleaning.

ionic
01-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I just had all mine replaced under warranty so they are nice and shiny now:D

johnloaderuk
01-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Had my car in for it's first MOT today and it passed without any problems. While I was there I asked about having all my centre caps and boot badge replaced as they are all slightly corroded, but I was told no way, they're not covered. I argued the point, showed them these posts, but still no luck. The car has 115k on the clock, isn't quite three years old until the end of December, and is still covered by an extended unlimited mileage warranty. What warranty do all you people have, still VW less than 60k miles, or extended warranty (by Mondial ? I think - but sold via my VW dealer).

On the plus side I was lent a new Passat CC 2.0TDI 140CR for the day. What a brilliant car. It was their new demo so was loaded with full leather, sat nav, parking sensors, mulitfunction wheel, telephone prep, electric sunroof etc. Interestingly the MFD had a setting which kept the auto hold function on all the time if that's what you want, no pressing the button every morning. I reluctantly handed it back at the end of the day, my current Passat Sport now feeling somewhat dated and slightly dull suddenly.

passat170
01-08-2009, 12:58 AM
My Passat centre caps were replaced on warranty.
As were two of the chrome trims (one on the boot and one on a door) which bubbled.
Centre caps were an issue on my previous Golf's and VW obviously hasn't sorted this problem.