PDA

View Full Version : Towbar query - reversing sensors on vehicle

Corsadad
13-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi folks

Pick up my 130TDi Sport Estate on Thursday and one of the first jobs will be to fit a towbar. The car is fitted with reversing sensor/warning buzzer. While looking at Towbar websites I see they carry a "GET OUT OF JAIL" Disclaimer about checking with dealers to see if a fixed or flanged towbar would affect the reversing sensors.

I was wondering if anyone had fitted a towbar to a vehicle with reversing sensors and whether or not the fixed/flange had caused any problem to the system.

Generally it will be used for towing a trailer (which at time will be heavy but it will be over a short distance) but it will also be used for towing a caravan. My preference is for the fixed/flange bar as it is more substantial, it is easier to fit a stabilser, it is easir to fit rear bumper protection and it will often keep tailgaters of your rear end.

Thanks

Frank.A
13-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi,

I have a PD130 saloon with Witter towbar and flanged Al-ko ball for Al-ko 2004 hitch stabiliser.

I fiitted my own reversing sensors (4 sensors)and they are not affected by the ball.I tried them fitted to a piece of plastic taped to the bumper before drilling the bumper.

I don't know if factory fitted would be OK.
One of the caravan forums may be your best bet.

Best,
Frank

Corsadad
13-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks Frank.A

Don't pick the car up until Thursday so I'll make some calls and search the web.

Ben
14-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Get a detachable tow bar, it will still be as able as a fixed at pulling and up to the same drawer weight. It wont interfere with your sensors as my dad has a bar on his treg and thats ok. Your sensors may pick up the trailer but as you normally travel forwards they wont be on.

I'm under the impression that reversing sensors only work when in reverse. :confused:

Still, you can turn your sensors off can't you?

Will you be fitting the tow bar your self?

I have plenty of information that may be of use to you before you spend you cash.

Corsadad
14-08-2007, 08:18 PM
I've seen some of your posts on towbars already.

If buying a new bar I generally use Towbarman01 on ebay. Have previously found his range and prices very hard to beat.

My mate has a "W" Passat estate and fitted the bar himself so I know there is no problem to it (watching not to get one that requires a bumper cut). Presently reading through the info on plug in wiring kits as they save a lot of effort, hassle and time - but I am a miserable Scot after all. Only query will be where to take the power for the caravan electrics from. I have seen a couple of posts suggesting you use the accesorry socket but reckon the wire won't be heavy enough for the prospective load. Up until now I have been primarily a Vauxhall man - they have a permenant 12V supply waiting in the boot that only needs the fuse inserted in the fusebox to make for simple wiring while there is a multiplug for the normal trailer electrics. Only break away from VX was when I bought a 3 series BMW - they were kind enough to put the battery in the boot making it oh so simple to get as much power as you needed (within reason:D).

As for the sensors - don't get the car until Thursday (may get it tommorrow) so I don't know if you can turn them off. Yes they do operate only in reverse so I don't want them switched off as I quite fancy the idea of providing as much assistance as possible to my wife while she parks (she isn't a registered user and won't get to read this). They problem for the sensors is not for reversing with a trailer/caravan attached (which would no doubt fire off any system) but concern that the fixed towbar would be picked up as an obstruction in general use negating the benefit of the sensors.

Thanks for the info and offer of further assistance. I'll PM you if I hit any snags.

Frank.A
15-08-2007, 07:18 PM
If you fit any form of Swan-neck ball,removable or otherwise you will need to have an Al-ko stabiliser hitch on your caravan as it is difficult to fit a blade stabiliser bracket on anything other than a flanged ball.The Al-ko hitch cost around £200+.
As far as the 12S electrics for caravan refridgerator and battery charging are concerned,the easiest route is a 30amp cable fused at the battery run to a voltage sensing relay such as a Smartcom located in the boot.This will have outputs for constant 12volt and fridge and battery charging with the engine running.

Best,
Frank

Corsadad
15-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the input Frank

I would prefer the fixed flange "old fashioned" style for a number of reasons

1 - I have a very efficient Scott Halley stabiliser and don't fancy the outlay for the Alko hitch (plus I use the car/towbar to tow trailer with building loads which means a greased ball which is not compatable with the Alko)

2 - Fixed/flanged towbars can have a solid bumper protection plate fitted.

3 - Fixed/flange towbars (with protection) are more likely to discourage others from parking too close

4 - As the bar is likely to be needed at any time (possibly several times in a week) I don't want the removeable bar bouncing about the vehicle or the nuisance of puting it on/off (yes lazy or as I'd prefer to say practical)

Would prefer to know if the fixed bar will affect the sensors. I'll try contacting the dealer and see if they have anyone who can answer this.

As for the 12 volt supply taking it straight from the battery was the option I was considering (as my mate has done on his Passat) simply wondered if there was already in fact a supply in place since theyappear to have a pre wired multi plug to connect the 12n socket.

Thanks again :beerchug:

Alan

Frank.A
15-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi Alan,
I am not aware of any 12S connection or loom available for the Passat as with Vauxhall and others.
You can use a removable bumper guard that slots in between the ball and the bracket.
The 12S plugs and sockets tend to overheat due to arcing on earth pin 7.A way around the problem without going to continental 13pin system is to utilise unused pins and sockets to double up the contact area.Visit the Swift owners club website and check out tech pages.

Here's the link.

http://www.swift-owners-club.co.uk/index1.html

Best,
Frank

Corsadad
15-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks Frank

It's a Swift Challenger 2 berth that I'll be pulling so will check out the website you suggest

snapdragon
16-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I have the estate with the sensors in the black skirt at the bottom of bumper (as opposed to rubbing strips on saloon) I don't have a towbar, but imagine they would be affected based on experience of similar small objects in the vicinity of the centre of the car.

Corsadad
17-08-2007, 07:37 PM
FrankA
You said the VW doesn't have the same multi plug prewired as in the Vauxhall for a simple connection of the 7 pin standard trailer electrics. A number of sellers are offering items such as
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-Pin-Car-Specific-towbar-wiring-VW-Passat-Est-01-05_W0QQitemZ110152260139QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33653QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

described as

7 Pin Car Specific towbar wiring VW Passat Est 01>>05

which suggests a simple plug in connection to avoid splicing into cables with 3m connectors.

Frank.A
17-08-2007, 07:52 PM
I was thinking of the 12S wiring for caravan refridgerator and battery charging while towing.

Best,
Frank

Corsadad
17-08-2007, 07:56 PM
No problem Frank. I have emailed Towbarman01 to get him to clarify the his kit is "plug and play" also to see if I can fit the fixed towbar (my original query) withou affecting the sensors.
Thanks again

Frank.A
17-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I actually use the reversing sensors for hitching up.I have an Al-ko hitch stabiliser,and line up the centre head rest in the middle of the centre caravan window using the rear view mirror.
I have fitted the sensor indicator inverted above the rear window so that I can see it in the rear view mirror.As it is inverted left is left and right is right.Using the bleeper and the indicator I can get to within better than an inch every time.

Best,
Frank

Corsadad
17-08-2007, 08:14 PM
I must admit to cheating while hitching up. I bought the van from an elderly couple who had made light use of it and the gentleman had passed way. They had a Carver caravan mover fitted - axle drive remote control. I thought when I bought the van that it would be a gimmick. Oh no - it is great. Clamp the drive onto the wheels and press a few buttons the van goes millimetre prefect over the towball or wherever you want it. Pure dead brilliant.
:biglaugh:

Frank.A
17-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Yes movers are useful,especially when pitching as many modern vehicles,Passats included have clutches that don't like pushing vans or heavy trailers,particularly uphill!.
Remember that any extras such as movers reduce the payload available in the van.

Best,
Frank

majordibs
04-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I have a passat estate with factory fitted parking sensors. I had a fixed 2 bolt flange brink towbar fitted mistakenly, this did not effect the parking sensors at all. I have since had this replaced with a fixed swan neck bar by brink which also has no effect on the operation of the parking sensors. Hope this is of assistance.:D