PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Issues

warrenm14
09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Gents...

I turn to some reliable people on the internet to try and help me out :)

Last night my ~7week old A4 Black Edition (Auto) was driving along. All was well. Parked outside the house, moved from D upwards to P....... this is where the trouble starts. It gets "stuck" at R ... ie I can go no further up the gear selections than R (so can't make it to P)

I think to myself OK something wrong here but I will take it up and round the block just to make sure something isn't stuck and call Audi tomorrow -- I do that... return to parking outside the house this time it's stuck at N so my two options are D and N at this stage :aargh4::confused:

Phone RAC - guy comes out, real brilliant guy used to be an Audi tech etc, knew his onions about Audi. Basically he told me the multitronic gearbox has the "runners/guides" in it for gear selection and they haven't been fitted properly at new. I said "could I have caused this damage" and he said "No chance. There is no pressure on the guides when moving gears. This has been an issue from build - time has caused it to fail"

So Audi now have my car and I am in the camp of worried as they literally need to take the whole gearbox apart to fix this issue.... Should I be worried or should I just be care free and let them fix it up and move on?

As I said the car is 7 weeks old! 1900~ miles on it. I don't drive hard miles really either. I rarely use the paddles/multitronic I'm a bit of a grandad :biglaugh:

Cheers!

OddBallBoy
09-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Friday afternoon gearbox... These things happen, let them fix it and see. But if happens again, think I'd be demanding a new gearbox rather than a rebuilt one. And a new car if they can't get it resolved without too much trouble as they have sold a product not fit for purpose. But you have to give them a chance to rectify it first.

SunnyBard
09-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Should I be worried or should I just be care free and let them fix it up and move on?

I'd say let them do the repair, then keep a close eye on it for any niggling gearbox problems, if none develop I suppose be thankful it was spotted a few weeks after buying it, rather than a few weeks after the warranty runs out ...

warrenm14
10-10-2012, 08:44 AM
I complained on twitter and Audi UK have contacted me. I'm going to explain my displeasure at the whole fairy tale. This is my THIRD Audi and I don't seem to have had a good one yet :confused:

moptisam2
11-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Warrenm14

Good luck. I was interested to see that commenting on Twitter got Audi moving.

This is my third Audi as well (all manual) - I picked it up on Monday. With the previous two I had problems getting into first gear. I'm hoping that this will be 'third time lucky'.

Keep up the pressure. The cars are not cheap and the quality should reflect that.

warrenm14
11-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Audi have contacted me to let me know it is/was a Faulty Gear Selector Mechanism. They have no idea how this could have happened apparently. I've told them to hold fire on the repair until I speak to this chap at Audi UK again.

warrenm14
12-10-2012, 02:15 PM
So Audi UK have contacted me again let me know the part may take up to 10 days to arrive from Germany. This is the new mechanism that was broken/damaged.

I've explained the issues I've had with Audi over the last 5 years (3 different Audi A4s) and been very upfront in the fact I doubt I'll buy another Audi again due to the grief and mishaps that have happened along the way.

I was given a VW Passat as a courtsey car - probably one of the worst cars I have ever driven... and it has a DSG gearbox!?! it's horrendous jerky drive. It also arrived (from EuropeCar extremely dirty). Passed on the info etc...

Audi have asked me what I would deem as a positive outcome and I have stated (whilst I don't think this is realistic) that I would want a new car - not a 7 week old repaired car...

Anyone else have some thoughts or am I being a spoilt child?

c.grex
12-10-2012, 03:42 PM
So Audi UK have contacted me again let me know the part may take up to 10 days to arrive from Germany. This is the new mechanism that was broken/damaged.

I've explained the issues I've had with Audi over the last 5 years (3 different Audi A4s) and been very upfront in the fact I doubt I'll buy another Audi again due to the grief and mishaps that have happened along the way.

I was given a VW Passat as a courtsey car - probably one of the worst cars I have ever driven... and it has a DSG gearbox!?! it's horrendous jerky drive. It also arrived (from EuropeCar extremely dirty). Passed on the info etc...

Audi have asked me what I would deem as a positive outcome and I have stated (whilst I don't think this is realistic) that I would want a new car - not a 7 week old repaired car...

Anyone else have some thoughts or am I being a spoilt child?

If you have bought a new Audi, why haven't you got a Audi as a courtesy car!?

warrenm14
12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
If you have bought a new Audi, why haven't you got a Audi as a courtesy car!?
It would appear Audi centres are moving away from keeping courtesy cars and have a deal with Europecar to pass on a rental vehicle basically... which is why I ended up with a dirty Passat.

Audi UK wanted to ship an Audi over from someplace to me but I didn't really see the value in this to be honest. It was a waste of time.