PDA

View Full Version : Possible blown head gasket, the Peaks and troughs of car meachanics

Kianc123
08-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Hey there.
Last week I brought an Audi A4 B5 1.9TDI 110, in great condition with 150 000 on the clock.
The only catch was that the turbo had blown. The seller assured me that he had realized the turbo had blown and stopped the car very quickly and with out over heating it, however when I check the oil it was very low, But I thought for £270 it was worth a pop.
So with huge help from this forum, I installed a reconditioned turbo, I cleaned out the intercooler and all its air pipes as well as the oil feed and return pipes to the new turbo, I then ran some engine flush though and changed the oil and filter. When I turned the car on, it started perfectly so I took itf or a spin and it ran like a dream, nice and fast and really smooth,Excellent!
Then I checked the water level for the first time and it seemed low so opened the lid to fill it up and my heart sank... It was full of oil!!!
I assume this has to be the head gasketor head its self. Is this right?
If so to change the gasket do I need toremove to cam belt as well? And how do I know if the head has beenwarped?
And is there any other possible damage?maybe piston rings?
I have changed the head on a motor bikebefore but nothing this advanced, any advice and tips would amazinglyhelpful, Or should I just scarp it?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Kian

Doctle Odd
08-10-2012, 09:19 PM
The coolant has oil in it? Could be the oil cooler, if so its an easy enough fix. You need to remove the lock carrier and timing belt to get the head off and you'd at least need to have the head checked for warp. Before you do that drain and flush all the coolant, just add some water and start the car and check the colour of the smoke. Also pull the dipstick and look for mayonnaise on the oil filler cap. It might be the oil cooler thats toast it's easy enough to change.

zollaf
08-10-2012, 09:20 PM
first thing to do is find the oil cooler, remove it and pressure test it.

Doctle Odd
08-10-2012, 09:25 PM
The oil cooler on the AFN is on the right side of the engine towards the rear and below the turbo pipe. the oil filter is screwed into it. If you're not proficient at swearing you'll learn a few getting it off.

zollaf
08-10-2012, 09:30 PM
indeed, wouldn't be the first one to fail. but, get it tested by pressuring the oil side, or vacuuming the coolant side as they can fail one way, so pressurising the coolant may not show a leak to the oil. anywhere that can pressure test a head could do it for you and at least if it fails you have nailed it, if it passes then the head has to come off. the afn, like my 1z is possibly the easiest engine to work on. i would be suprised if the gasket has gone though.

Doctle Odd
08-10-2012, 09:35 PM
The AFN is the Mutts Nutts in diesel engines. You'd have to run it on kerosene without oil and water to damage it.

Doctle Odd
08-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I read somewhere that the AHU engine is a rebranded 1Z? An Audi 80 1Z, Gates timing belt kit is cheaper than an Audi A4 AHU kit!
indeed, wouldn't be the first one to fail. but, get it tested by pressuring the oil side, or vacuuming the coolant side as they can fail one way, so pressurising the coolant may not show a leak to the oil. anywhere that can pressure test a head could do it for you and at least if it fails you have nailed it, if it passes then the head has to come off. the afn, like my 1z is possibly the easiest engine to work on. i would be suprised if the gasket has gone though.

Kianc123
08-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Sweet thanks for all the info,
I'l do that tomorrow and keep you posted, the head was changed 6 months ago, so fingers crossed
K

zollaf
08-10-2012, 10:19 PM
paul has answered that one, its above the oil filter.
i have answered the other, get it pressure tested.

Kianc123
08-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Yeah sorry it all happen so fast, I didn't read all the posts,
I've just changed my reply.
Thanks so much

zollaf
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
no probs, the oil cooler is a block of ally about 4'' square. you remove the oil filter, then the 2 coolant pipes going to the cooler, then the cooler is held on with a nut about 24mm which sits on the threaded shaft the filter screws on. you will need a new rubber gasket for the cooler (Engine Oil Cooler Seal for Audi A8 94-96 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Oil-Cooler-Seal-for-Audi-A8-94-96-/380456053675?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AAudi&hash=item5894f2abab#ht_1691wt_1195) )
this goes on top of the cooler.

EDIT . that link is an example and not necessarily the right one, but it looks the same.

Dan J
09-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Just recently changed the oil cooler on my AFN, thought it was head gasket at first also until I did a bit of searching on here and found out what it was, runs like a dream now :)

got the oil cooler from gfs for £78 with free delivery. Audi wanted £150+vat lol

Doctle Odd
09-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Treat yourself to a beer and look smugly at the car, job done!

Kianc123
09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
You absolute beautys!
I whipped the oil cooler off in 10 mins and got a new one on it's way for tomorrow.
Now I just need to flush out the coolant and I should be back on the road!
Thank you all.
K

Dan J
09-10-2012, 10:13 PM
You absolute beautys!
I whipped the oil cooler off in 10 mins and got a new one on it's way for tomorrow.
Now I just need to flush out the coolant and I should be back on the road!
Thank you all.
K

Flush well my friend as it gets messy, I flushed mine through with G101 and boiling water then repeated flushing with just hot water from the tap so I was 100% all the de-greaser was out of the system,
pay extra attention to the pipes going in and out of the matrix and more importantly your rad as these were quite blocked up on mine and took extra de-greasing and flushing with boiling water.
i lost count after about 5 goes flushing the whole system out section by section.

theres still a little bit that collects in the header tank now but not alot, I'm still deciding if I should get some more anti-freeze and give it one last flush before winter properly kicks in.

neil w
10-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Car Mechanics magazine had the same problem with an Octavia tdi a couple of years ago. in the end they mixed washing powder with water and filled the cooling system with it, ran the car for a while and then dropped it out. After a couple of aplications of the flushed system was clear of oil and mayonnaise and could be filled with antifreeze and water.

zollaf
10-10-2012, 08:14 AM
forte do a product called bio degreaser which is designed for just this job. never used it myself but its meant to be really good.

Dan J
10-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I did think about getting a dedicated coolant flush but use a lot of G101 for valeting and detailing so made use of it which has worked well with no ill effects.

zollaf
10-10-2012, 12:08 PM
i have used g101 many years ago, blooming ace at stripping smoke stains off headlinings ?

Dan J
11-10-2012, 06:08 PM
i have used g101 many years ago, blooming ace at stripping smoke stains off headlinings ?

Yes very effective on roof lining, seats/carpets etc, great engine bay cleaner,wheel cleaner (highly diluted) , door shuts.
love the stuff and will never be without it ;)

Doctle Odd
11-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Daz!
car mechanics magazine had the same problem with an octavia tdi a couple of years ago. In the end they mixed washing powder with water and filled the cooling system with it, ran the car for a while and then dropped it out. After a couple of aplications of the flushed system was clear of oil and mayonnaise and could be filled with antifreeze and water.

Kianc123
17-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Hey Guys,
Just to let you know that I changed the oil cooler and flushed out the cooling systems heaps of time and......
Everything is spot on! just took it on a 400 mile run and the oil and the water levels are the same as when I left (and still separate!)
So thanks so much for all your help (especially as this issue has been discussed on this forum before)
Good luck.
K

zollaf
17-10-2012, 08:08 AM
excellent result. well done.

adamss24
17-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Hey Guys,
Just to let you know that I changed the oil cooler and flushed out the cooling systems heaps of time and......
Everything is spot on! just took it on a 400 mile run and the oil and the water levels are the same as when I left (and still separate!)
So thanks so much for all your help (especially as this issue has been discussed on this forum before)
Good luck.
K
Now wipe that big grin off your face ! Feels good when it works out in the end, especially as you done it yourself !?!

Doctle Odd
17-10-2012, 10:32 AM
You now can impress people with similar problems and barter with people that are selling because they think the car is screwed