PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a front ABS Sensor Passat B5 (1.9 TDI 130)

bora23
07-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Replacing a front ABS Sensor Passat B5 (1.9 TDI 130)

So I’m driving along and I get ABS and the (ASR) light on, telling me that there is a fault with the ABS System. I have searched online for a ‘how to’ guide but I cant find one so I thought id make my own.

The first step is to identify the fault, for this you need a code reader/VCDS. In my car it threw up this code.

00285 – ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45)
30-10 SHORT TO PLUS – INTERMITTENT

When reading these codes remember it’s based on you sitting in the drivers seat, so front right would be Drivers Side. G45 tells you this as well. Another way to check if your ABS Sensor is faulty would be to raise the side that you think is at fault. Using VCDS log into ABS and measuring group 001. This will show all 4 road wheels at 0.0 km/h. As you move the faulty wheel round with your hand it should remain at 0.0 km/h if it increases in speed then further investigation is required and either.

The fault is intermittent
It is the wrong wheel

The fault being intermittent is most likely and rotating the wheel won’t simulate driving conditions and the fault won’t be there. (sods law).

Next is to order your new sensor, VW charge £190 for the sensor so its wise to use aftermarket companies such as GSF, or Euro Car Parts. I managed to get my sensor for £40.

You can buy ebay ones for about £20 but I have used these before and had nothing but trouble with them. Pay that bit extra and get one that will last.

You may also need a new ABS Sensor retainer (item 5)

Replacing the Sensor.

Loosen wheel nuts and remove wheel
Use chocks or axle stands to prop up the car
Remove the road wheel fully when the car is raised
Pull out the ABS sensor lug from the inside of the wheel arch, this is usually located in the back of the bulkhead. Be careful not to damage the wires behind it. As you pull the rubber lug out it will expose two plugs, a red and a black one. The red one is for the brake pad wear sensor and the black one is the ABS sensor.

Remove the sensor from the red and black plugs, then remove the wiring right the way down to the sensor. Then comes the fun bit, actually removing the sensor. The ABS Sensor on the Passat is on the side of the Hub, and as you will find out is will be near enough impossible to remove.

I actually wrestled with it for about 3 hours, and ended up smashing it to pieces. HOWEVER WORD OF CAUTION please be careful that you do not damage the ring on the inside of the hub. this can cause you nightmares!
Once out install the new Carrier into the hole and then the new sensor and hey presto. A working ABS Sensor.

gmonaghan
21-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks for that but my question is how do you remove the wiring harness from inside th strut? I have been told the only way to replace this is to cut the wire?? I have tried this in the past and the sensor will not go up through nor will the red and black connectors go down through the strut??
Any advvise or pics most welcome!!!

bora23
21-02-2013, 10:55 PM
You don't need to remove the strut, the wiring for it is in the wheel arch, to the left hand sided the whee for the drivers side and the right hand side for the passenger. It is protected by a rubber grommet, when you pull it out there are two connects that allow you to disconnect the faulty sensor. A red and a black one, they will pull through the hole in the wheel arch (although you need to be careful)

gmonaghan
22-02-2013, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the reply. I know where to disconnect the plugs red and black in the bulkhead area but when all is disconnected how do you remove complete sensor loom from the strut as its inside, it cant come up as sensor is too big to fit through hole in bottom of strut so it must come down through the top but both connectors will not fit in??? Scrap yard says no other way to remove but cut wires but this is incorrect, how do you install a brand new abs sensor assy?? Cant find answer of pics anywhere so now there's a challenge for you all!!!
Thanks again!

caldirun
22-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Well done, nice post, just to add the way to remove the old sensor is to remove the back plate and get an adjustable spanner on the plastic flats after spraying in your favourite release agent. Rock the sensor a little each way and it may come out. If the problem is reported as left front sensor get the plug out and spray contact cleaner into it before buying a sensor as this plug sits under the water feature that is called the plenum chamber!
On the other post, just pass the plugs through the strut one at a time, simples!

JoGooch
22-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Well done, nice post, just to add the way to remove the old sensor is to remove the back plate and get an adjustable spanner on the plastic flats after spraying in your favourite release agent. Rock the sensor a little each way and it may come out. If the problem is reported as left front sensor get the plug out and spray contact cleaner into it before buying a sensor as this plug sits under the water feature that is called the plenum chamber!
On the other post, just pass the plugs through the strut one at a time, simples!

Is this the same on the 2012 1.6tdi Passat? My sensor light just suddenly came on a few seconds after hitting a very cobbly street in Germany. The car runs fine, but the warning light hasn't gone off. Thanks.