PDA

View Full Version : Abs fault light

markgrff17
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone

not posted for a while but back again with more problems.
for a while now my 1999 1.8t auto sport has had a couple of warning lights on, the ABS in amber is constantly illuminated and the brake warning light in red is flashing. on first starting the car there is a audiable alarm which is 3 or 4 bleeps.

has anyone had a similiar experience? the dreaded MOT is next month so i need to get it sorted ASAP :aargh4:.

Cheers.......... mark

KieranM
06-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I haven't had this experience, but I would get a fault code scan done to see if there any codes that might give you a better clue, there might be someone in your area with VCDS that could do a scan for you. Are there any symptoms under braking?

markgrff17
06-10-2012, 05:40 PM
thanks for your reply

the car has no ill symptoms of braking that i can detect. i have purchased a couple of vcds interface leads from ebay but can not seem to communicate with the car.

cheers mark

KieranM
06-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Does the light on the lead light up when you plug it in? Then as far as I remember if you have windows 7 or Vista then that should install the lead with no worries, when you open VCDS, you have to go to options, it should have port 4 selected, test the interface, when it pops up with the message that it is there then it should communicate, you have to press save, then I generally run a full auto scan, which takes no more than 15 minutes, and gives you a list of the fault codes. If you have windows xp then you have to install a driver to get the lead to work.

The only problems I have had have been where my laptop was being slow - with windows 7 and vista it should bong when you plug a usb device in, so as long as it bongs then you should be good to go.

markgrff17
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
hi

thanks for your reply, ive down loaded vcds lite but when i open it and check the interface lead it fails to see it. i have tried a couple of interfaces and have the same problem with both.

cheers........... mark

zollaf
07-10-2012, 09:43 PM
the brake warning light flashing is quite worrying, even if there is no noticeable problem with the brakes, it is telling you something is wrong, maybe low fluid or low pads. either way, driving the car like this is like , well, driving a car thats telling you the brakes could stop working at any moment. personally i think you need to get is checked before you are involved in a crash.

bora23
07-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Have you installed the USB Lead? You need a device driver (USB to COM Port Driver) in order for the cable to work under Windows XP, NT, ME 2000. What Operating system are you using ?

Doctle Odd
08-10-2012, 12:59 AM
hi

thanks for your reply, ive down loaded vcds lite but when i open it and check the interface lead it fails to see it. i have tried a couple of interfaces and have the same problem with both.

cheers........... mark
You need to configure the port. the first 4 ports in a laptop are usually already allocated, do this in xp
plug in vcds cable and click
start
control panel
system
hardware
device manager
ports & Ltp
serial port
double click serial and click properties then ports, click change port select port between 1 qand 4 and click ok.
ONLY plug your vcds into the usb slot youre using now
job done