PDA

View Full Version : Question Some help/buying advice

Mailman
01-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi guys,

i hope you are all well i was just wondering if anyone could give me some helpful tips/advice on VW cars.

I am basically looking to buy my mom a VW jetta 2006/2007. It will most likely be a 1.9 tdi due to cheaper road tax and fuel economy. But i haven't ruled out smaller petrol engines if they can give decent economy.

I am aware of some of the issues with the 2.0TDI engines vw produce should i really avoid these? Should i avoid the automatics? I am also aware of the corrosion issues too and general poor build quality issues which i hope wont be to much of a problem overall.

Am i making a mistake looking at a VW Jetta or Golf? is there things i should look out for on cars that have done around 100,000 miles? I see a lot of posts on this forum regarding problems etc but i am sure many of you must enjoy years and years of trouble free motoring?

My mom will mainly use the car for local driving taking my sister to school (30 miles approx each day in total i would say)

i would ocassionally borrow it for longer journeys so i am not sure if its even worth buying a diesel but if i find a nice clean car at the right price and its a diesel i would like to just buy it... I understand the complications and issues with modern diesels but i also know VW make the best diesel engines in the world.

Any help or advice would be very helpful to me and i would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

TDiBoraSam
02-10-2012, 12:52 PM
I have a 2007 Jetta 1.9TDI. No real problems with it so far. Decent build quality, no squeaks or rattles. Great economy (usually high 50's mpg or more).

The 1.9TDI is generally regarded as a solid, well built engine, better than the early 2.0TDI's. The best diesel engines can be found in PSA group cars...Citroen, Peugeot etc etc. Much better developed than the VW units, but the rest of the car probably won't be built quite as well.

Alan G H
02-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Don't rule out Skoda Octavia's or Seat Leon's etc (Golfs in disguise). We have two 03 plate Octavia TDI 90 bhp estates as pool cars at work, both have been fantastic cars, both around 200,000 miles and still go well. Loads of taxi drivers can't be wrong!!