PDA

View Full Version : fast idle

liambell
13-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi Anyone have any ideas on my idle problem i have a 1993 coupe 16 valve, the car will only idle at about 2,500 / 3,000 revs. start up and runs fine but hot or cold it is the same revs,have replace the idle control valve and there is power to the unit and it seems to be working but not shutting down fully causing a fast idle.

you cannot slow the bugger down!

At the moment i have a clamp on the air hose to the metering unit so the car can be driven.

All the obvious has been checked but something must control this valve.

Help please !!!!!!!!!

scotty33
14-08-2007, 02:32 AM
I would look into the throttle stop setting. If the throttle stop screw is set with the throttle too 'open', the idle switch may not be operating, the idle switch tells the ECU the throttle is closed so the isv can control idle. You can usually hear a light click, as you open the throttle off it's stop. Try to make a note of where the screw is set, if it is not the problem, you may need to reset it..

lizard
14-08-2007, 12:16 PM
I had a broken vacuum hose on my old toyota, when that failed it allowed a bucketload of air into the inlet manifold (loud whistling noise) and then the ISV couldnt bring the speed down. might be worth lookin for air leaks after the throttle (gaskets, loose hoses, does it have a servo? etc). I'm new to audis but i guess the standard rules will apply?

jon.