PDA

View Full Version : Passat 2012 protective outdoor car cover?

redadair777
01-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Hello folks,

I'm looking for a car cover, either generic or specific, that will fit the new Passat 2012 Saloon.

I checked on Fleabay and there is a myriad of choices and price. I think I would prefer an elastic one but not that fussed to be honest.

Has anyone used such a product and has one they can recommend? The reason being is building work will be going on in my street and of course the looming winter.....

Any suggestions welcome. Red :-)

bertj
02-10-2012, 09:50 AM
You have to be very careful with car covers. In windy conditions they can 'shuffle' about and abrade the paintwork. Personally, I wouldn't use one as you can always wash the car!

redadair777
02-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi Bertj,

That's a fair point, although I would feel a lot better if I had some sort of protection due to imminent building work around my street. My car sits on the drive for up to a week at a time. I just have visions of small stones / dust / sand flying in the wind and destroying my car.

I am thinking a suitably tight elastic base will do the job (generic cover). Cheers! Red!

Eshrules
02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
You're more likely to damage the paint using such a cover, than you would be leaving the car on the drive for a week. AFAIK, there are various rules & regs for building sites and one of them is to contain the rubbish they exude.

redadair777
02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry guys. I am really finding this hard to believe. Surely the internal side of the cover will have some sort of soft material?

I know you get what you pay for (most times) but I was looking for cheaper examples of this with hopefully not compromising on quality too much. I was hoping someone on here may have experience of such items....

Thanks, Red!

All Year Protection Car Cover 287 - All Year Protection Car Cover (http://www.everycarcovered.com/287-all-year-protection/48-all-year-protection-car-cover.html)

Eshrules
02-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Hard to believe or not, it's true.

Take your car, in it's current state - now run a cloth all over it, dragging it from side to side - see how your paint turns out.

The only difference between what I've suggested and a car cover is the cost.

If you want proper protection for your car from building debris (?) then either a garage, or one of these non-contacting cocoon would be more suitable.

Carcoon - Evo Indoor - Price List in Europe (http://www.carcoon.co.uk/evo-indoor-prices-europe.html)