PDA

View Full Version : 'Gutless' new A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI (140) '08 spec

GezT
13-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi folks,

Setting up a new topic from another thread to see if I can get wider input on a topic.
New A3, 1000 miles on the clock now, Sportback 2.0 TDI (140) '08 spec, doesn't drive at all like the one we test drove (which was torquey and fun). Does anybody else have the same model I can compare experience with?

We think (with input from other helpful members on the forum) that there might be something wrong with it, but I'd prefer to go in pre-informed when I go to see the dealer!

Here's how it goes:
Stationary. First gear. Stamp foot flat to the floor (OK I know it is a brand new car but this is for test purposes only). Crawl, crawl, crawl (being overtaken by 1.1 fiestas, cyclists etc. for possibly 1.5-2 seconds), 3000 revs, bang, the car takes off like a scolded cat. Makes driving in town very 'unrelaxed' and slow.

70mph, 2000 revs, 6th gear. Floor it, groan moan groan, car picks up gradually, then at 2400 seems to start to pull.

However, 3rd gear 2000revs + seems to pull very nicely.

Appreciate there is going to be turbo lag, but I'm sure when I (and my wife agrees) test drove the same spec car that it was very torquey and willing to drive (there is a 2.0 diesel under the bonnet after all!).

Any comparable experience from identical models? Help much appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
GezT

diesel nut
13-08-2007, 01:59 PM
sorry but this car has to be run in ie more miles and yes she will liven up to put that smile on your face.
how many miles did the demo car have on it?

Eshrules
13-08-2007, 03:02 PM
good god :aargh4: PLEASE stop flooring it! the car you're driving has to be broken in yet, you shouldnt even be taking it past 3000rpm, let alone flooring it!

i hate it when dealers do not advise people on how to break their cars in. PLEASE, stop flooring it, you will be doing untold, irrepariable damage to your turbo system.

please see here (http://www.tdiclub.com) for tips on how to drive a new TDI ;)

golf tdi 02
13-08-2007, 06:08 PM
i have the pleasure of driving the other halfs when shes not about and it takes the micheal out of me golf.
its as fast as muck so please listen to esh on this one
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

GezT
14-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks folks: demo car had 15k on it or so.
Does running in seriously make that much difference? Sounds from what people say that with a diesel it does!

re flooring it: don't worry it was a one (or two) off experiment: I usually drive like an old man (51mpg on recent trip to Manchester). Thanks for link to tdi Club; I agree dealers are now just salesmen, they don't seem to know much about cars, which is a real shame.

I still may well take it in to the dealer (or ask my brother who has the relevant software) to run a diagnostic check on it.

Will update with progress: guess I'd better try to get some (gentle) miles on the car!
Thanks,
G

Eshrules
14-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks folks: demo car had 15k on it or so.
Does running in seriously make that much difference? Sounds from what people say that with a diesel it does!

re flooring it: don't worry it was a one (or two) off experiment: I usually drive like an old man (51mpg on recent trip to Manchester). Thanks for link to tdi Club; I agree dealers are now just salesmen, they don't seem to know much about cars, which is a real shame.

I still may well take it in to the dealer (or ask my brother who has the relevant software) to run a diagnostic check on it.

Will update with progress: guess I'd better try to get some (gentle) miles on the car!
Thanks,
G

yes it will :) think of it as a new pair of jeans, so so tight to start with, but once worn and washed a few times, they mould to your body and become so much more comfy. its the same sort of thing with a turbo, whilst being broken in, it shouldnt be hammered, not straight away anyway. i cant advise you specifically, but there is a certain way to break in a new car, you should do some research on it mate ;)

i doubt there will be any faults, but cant hurt to check :beerchug:

diesel nut
25-08-2007, 01:02 PM
the diesels are not run in until around 20 k
the damage you are causing is catastrophic :confused:

GezT
25-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Don't worry, keeping revs down below 3000 . I drive very gently normally, just had to experiment on the odd occassion trying to find what happened to all the power that the car exhibited when we test drove one (which had 10k on the clock). Interestingly at 1500 on the clock (still a baby) it is really starting to noticeably pick up- it's starting to pull away a lot better at lower revs and is much smoother (and a little quieter): the sudden pick up at various revs: 3000rpm first gear (experimental only I repeat), 2600 second gear, 2400 third gear, seems to be fading as the torque seems to broadening to lower revs.
It's a real shame when I spoke to the garage that supplied it, who admittedly were very helpful in the service department, that they claimed it needed no running in, that you should feel free to drive it up the rev range (I must admit I grimaced: maybe they sell lots of company cars :Blush:).

SO, watch this space.. I'll update as the miles keep going on!

For a moment I did almost wonder if the engine management system reigned in the car whilst it was running in: a stupid idea I guess, but as an engineer I could see the benefit in programming it that way.

Cheers,
G