PDA

View Full Version : Towbar 13pin to 7pin adapter

GezT
13-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi folks,

I've got a removeable towbar on my A3 to carry a bike carrier (not to pull a caravan) and so when I ordered it I opted for a single 13 pint to 7 adapter (Audi dealer asked me which I prefered). When picked up it came with a hefty 13 pin to two 7 pin adapter which I just don't need flopping about back there. I took it back to the dealer who denied that a 13 to 7 adapter existed (despite having been offered one by the salesman). Anybody out there know if Audi do produce such a beast and/or where else reliable I can get one from?

Cheers,
Gez T

Ben
13-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Cant answer accurately i'm affraid. What you have there is a 'spider', it clearly converts the european 13pin electrics to work with the UK twin electrics for caravans. If the type of converter you want isn't available and your handy with a meter, what you hav could easily be altered.

Or

Buy a 13 pin laed and only wire up the connections you need.

GezT
14-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Interestingly I saw a nice Thule bike rack, which I guess was a European import, which was 'native 13 pin'... nice but expensive though! I wonder if one day we'll swap to the 13 pin standard (if the EU can demand straight bananas on our behalf then surely they can also demand standard towing plugs for towbars :Blush:)

j3ggo
12-11-2007, 10:58 PM
I've heard that (a towing hitch supplier) will be converting to 13 pin, once the ec regulation kicks in requiring all caravans sold in the uk to be 13 pin, good news really everything will be the same. My new caravan order will be 13 pin and i will have to buy a converter to attach to my cars 7 pin.

GezT
13-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't know if you're supposed to endorse retailers in here, but I got my 13 to 7 adapter from 'towing & trailers' and it all worked very nicely (I'm not affiliated to them in anyway)

I guess this is what you will need:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-pin-13pin-adaptor-cable-for-trailer-caravan-PA03_W0QQitemZ300138424618QQihZ020QQcategoryZ36632 QQcmdZViewItem

Good news that there will finally be a standard hookup.

G

j3ggo
13-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Whats the quality like of the part? Thanks for the advice, I have seen them but not looked into them yet.

GezT
13-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Seems good to me: the adapter I got was pretty reasonable grade plastic (made in Italy, not China), and chunky connectors. Central body was a bit stiff pushing on - but that was probably me just not ever used a hook up before!

miniredcooper
19-11-2007, 10:56 PM
I needed one of these adapters for my B*W MINI - picked one up in halfords and it does the job well - just a removable extension (about 2 inches long) which plugs into the 13 pin and brings it down to 7.

For convenience Halfords should stock them...