PDA

View Full Version : What does this button do then?

Chrisman
28-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Hi just ordered an SE 2.0 TDI and noticed a new button on the left hand side of the gear stick which says "a off" or something like that.
I'll get the manual when the car finally arrives but it's niggling me now lol.
Anyone here put me out of my misery. :biglaugh:

Thanks
Chris

Brycie
28-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Best guess (and it would be a wild guess) would be auto-hold. Does it have an epb?

Edit: Just had a quick web search & found these couple of pages which would suggest from the location of the button, that your 'a off' button is auto-hold.

Another lazy Sunday; off to more car showrooms… at tzlee.com/blog (http://www.tzlee.com/blog/?p=1309)

VW Passat "Auto-hold" electric handbrake help required (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=663792)

redadair777
28-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Hi Chrisman, I believe that is the start stop technology you can switch, I think it is the one above the P sensors button on the left side of the gear stick.

I'll pick mine up tomorrow and let you know! :-)

Chrisman
28-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Yes mate I think you may be spot on about the start stop function there.
Bet you're well looking forward topicking it up!
How long have you had to wait for your delivery and which passat are you getting? (;o)

redadair777
28-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Cheers mate, it's this one. Pick it up in less than 24 hours! Ex demo with 1.6K on the clock or something. I will post pics (in the correct forum) when I get a chance :-))

Here's hoping I get close to the claimed MPG! :-)) Red!

http://www.volkswagenstockport.co.uk/Stockport/Used-Volkswagen-Passat-MK7-Saloon-Night-Blue-Metallic-2012-ML12LPK.aspx

Chrisman
29-09-2012, 05:58 PM
That's a bonnie motor mate.
The proof will be in the pudding regarding the mpg and it may have something to do with your driving style. (;o)
So what's the correct forum to post pics Red???

redadair777
29-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Thank you Chris, I just noticed where you are from, I'm from Cumberanuld lol, near the Castlecary Arches.....

Picked up the car today, all was nearly well but got there in the end (car goes back in next week!)

Really nice to drive and just getting used to all the buttons etc, but very impressed with stop / start tech and auto hold handbrake :-))

Pics go in here I believe..... I'll post one up

VW Audi Forum Gallery - VW Audi Forum Gallery (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/photopost/?)

Chrisman
30-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Aha a fella Scotsman. I should have recognised you accent. (;o)
Never knew the forum had a gallery!!! I love the rich blue colour. I happens to be the same colour I ordered.
So I take it the button on the left with the "A off" is the turn off the start/stop function right enough?
What's up with the motor making you go back next week????

Guest 2
30-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Yes that button is for turning the Start Stop off. Same as below?

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/Courtesy%20Cars/a5sportback/IMG_2106j_zps0b25d203.jpg

redadair777
30-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi both :-) thanks very much for the comments & the picture. Yeah that button turns off auto stop / start tech. I guess therecould be reasons to switch it off.
The night blue is amazing, loved it in the sunlight, beautiful colour, i will need to get some protect on that.
the car goes in for scratch repairs, they said they would fix and clearly did not. Very poor performance from dealer and i went mental, well my friend did for me lol

haggis! :-)

Hugh Jend
01-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Hi just ordered an SE 2.0 TDI and noticed a new button on the left hand side of the gear stick which says "a off" or something like that.
I'll get the manual when the car finally arrives but it's niggling me now lol.
Anyone here put me out of my misery. :biglaugh:

Thanks
Chris

This is not for auto hold.
This is auto stop/start...which means that the engine goes into 'hibernation' when the car is brought to a halt and the clutch is depressed.
You can disable this by pressing the button.

Auto Hold is to the right of the gear leaver, below the 'hand' brake.

Note to self...always scroll down to the bottom of a page.....

sorry for repeating what you've already been told!

Brycie
01-10-2012, 08:30 PM
The auto hold was just a guess from someone not in the know as at the time it was late & there weren't any others around to answer. Just throwing a suggestion in there which turned out to be not so close & no cigar :D

Chrisman
01-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys for the input. Mystery solved then.
Looking forward to getting the motor and reading up on the manual to see what's what.
Wish I could get hold of an online manual but no joy...yet! :p

AMacdonald
04-10-2012, 10:07 PM
While we're on the subject of mysterious buttons, my B7 Bluemotion estate has what appears to be a boot release button mounted sideways on the drivers door. It doesn't seem to do anything. Is that because it's broken or has no actual function in an estate?

Guest 2
04-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Could you post a pic?

Are you sure it's the boot release not the button for turning the alarm and interior monitoring off?

lepopester
10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi, it is the button for turning off the interior alarm monitoring off, if you press it when the ignition is still on and the key is in then it will turn yellow indicating that the interior sensors for the alarm are off. I couldn't find it in the manual though??

Jo Illingworth
11-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Hi Guys,

Just picked up a DSG Sport Estate this week and my car has this stop start button, I've had a play with it illuminated orange (which I'm sure is off) and illuminated red, on neither setting does the engine 'stop', am I doing something wrong?

I had a read in the manual and it seems to operate within a strict set of parameters but am pretty sure i was within these but the engine still runs?

Any ideas before I go and embarass myself at VW.

Thanks

Northsea
11-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Hi mate,
When you come to a stop are you going into neutral then lifting your clutch off?
I think this is what the system waits for till the engine will switch off.

Chris

Jo Illingworth
11-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Hiya mate,

Mines a DSG, would i still have to shift into neutral?

Chrisman
11-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Ah Sorry mate I overlooked that important factor.
I take it you have tried to shift to neutral to see if it kills the engine?
I'm sure someone in the know will add to this.
If not maybe try a new thread on this specific subject may yeald more of a result. :D

Chris_55
13-10-2012, 11:50 AM
On mine the engine stops when you stop the car on the foot brake (lever still in 'D').
It does not stop the engine sometimes for various reasons, the one I've experience is when the DPF is regenerating.

bertj
14-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Hiya mate,

Mines a DSG, would i still have to shift into neutral?

As you come to a halt hold the brake pedal down and keep it held down until you want to start off again; the engine will stop. Stay in D; don't shift into neutral. When you take your foot of the brake pedal the engine will start again and, as soon as you press the accelerator to move of, the auto handbrake/hold will release. You must, of course, have your seat belt fastened for all this to happen. The system works very well indeed on a DSG as you don't have to hold the clutch pedal down as well. IMO the only drawback to this system is that the brake lights will be on while you are stopped; this certainly annoys older drivers (like me!) who were taught to never blind people behind whilst stopped. Also, in heavy stop/start traffic, I turn the system off as I'm not too keen on the constant starting and stopping of the engine.

Retain
18-10-2012, 08:00 PM
While we're on the subject of mysterious buttons, my B7 Bluemotion estate has what appears to be a boot release button mounted sideways on the drivers door. It doesn't seem to do anything. Is that because it's broken or has no actual function in an estate?

On the estate it unlocks the boot, but doesn't actually release it if that makes sense. Useful if you're dropping a passenger off and they need to get their luggage out without you having to unlock the doors or switch off the ignition.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AMacdonald
18-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I see, thanks. I expected it to make something, somewhere go clunk or bing but it doesn't seem to do anything. Must have a play with the engine running and a willing assistant.

Retain
19-10-2012, 09:19 AM
I see, thanks. I expected it to make something, somewhere go clunk or bing but it doesn't seem to do anything. Must have a play with the engine running and a willing assistant.

Yes, that baffled me too! It's completely silent so you don't know until someone tried the boot if it's actually worked.

Jo Illingworth
26-10-2012, 08:46 AM
On mine the engine stops when you stop the car on the foot brake (lever still in 'D').
It does not stop the engine sometimes for various reasons, the one I've experience is when the DPF is regenerating.

How would I know if the DPF was regenerating?

Retain
26-10-2012, 09:14 AM
How would I know if the DPF was regenerating?

Your engine will idle slightly higher. Just over 1000RPM rather than normal idle of 700ish RPM.